« Topics
Mr Kite877 posts since 15 Aug 2007
Granada North West Today
Yes I believe it was pretty much Meridian in all but name by that stage. (the farewell show was pre-recorded).

Which is why I've never really bought the 'disgruntled TVS employees interfering with the picture' myth. Besides, I'm pretty sure Meridian took most of the TVS staff on anyway. It was probably a single shift with the same workers, only legally becoming Meridian employees once midnight arrived.
Last edited by Mr Kite on 4 January 2018 11:55pm - 2 times in total
Richard871 posts since 22 Apr 2012
Granada North West Today

Talking of the LWT handovers, growing up in London I used to think (and somewhere in the back of my mind I still do) that 5:15pm on a Friday is the 'official' start of the weekend, it never occurred to me at the time that it was just a telly thing.

If I look at a clock at 9:25am I always, without fail, think of the GMTV handover.
Revolution and Mr Kite gave kudos
Richard871 posts since 22 Apr 2012
Granada North West Today
Aren't TVS/Meridian using a different shot too? To be honest in those days when there was no big London/river firework display to speak of you could easily have used a recording. It amazes me given the ceremony that surrounds the whole thing now how ITN spend forever showing highlights of the year and miss the first chimes completely, only going in for the bongs themselves, then Carlton cut them off just after they've started and they're still going when they go back to Chris Tarrant!

Did other regions (who kept their franchise) get a proper close to the news after the bongs had finished?
VMPhil9,143 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today

Talking of the LWT handovers, growing up in London I used to think (and somewhere in the back of my mind I still do) that 5:15pm on a Friday is the 'official' start of the weekend, it never occurred to me at the time that it was just a telly thing.

If I look at a clock at 9:25am I always, without fail, think of the GMTV handover.

When I see 9:25, I always think of the greatest Saturday morning TV show…

62305823,025 posts since 19 Aug 2005
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Yes I believe it was pretty much Meridian in all but name by that stage. (the farewell show was pre-recorded).

Which is why I've never really bought the 'disgruntled TVS employees interfering with the picture' myth. Besides, I'm pretty sure Meridian took most of the TVS staff on anyway. It was probably a single shift with the same workers, only legally becoming Meridian employers once midnight arrived.

Is it possible some misunderstood the link and though Meridian first programme would be on the first bong?

Is the next post dreaded?
Markymark6,162 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

Which is why I've never really bought the 'disgruntled TVS employees interfering with the picture' myth. Besides, I'm pretty sure Meridian took most of the TVS staff on anyway. It was probably a single shift with the same workers, only legally becoming Meridian employees once midnight arrived.

I'm not sure. Certainly Southern to TVS, everybody (who wanted to stay) was TUPE'd across, I seem to recall that wasn't the case with TVS to Mer ? Although it would have made sense to have had the same shift working for TVS up until midnight, as for Mer after.
JasonB4,902 posts since 20 Sep 2003
London London

When I see 9:25, I always think of the greatest Saturday morning TV show…

You can buy that same alarm clock on eBay:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-dream-machine-FM-MW-LW-Radio-snooze-Buzzer-Alarm-Clock-ICF-C113L/152650050838?hash=item238aa6ed16:g:niAAAOSwrSdZhE-6
"623058 The whole thing has been a dump squirt."
DE88 gave kudos
Steve Williams2,565 posts since 1 Aug 2008
His history is riddled with misfires and errors of judgement.

Oh, is it? Never mind inventing alternative comedy and producing some of the most acclaimed programmes in television history. You don't spend over thirty years in television if you're no good.

Pray tell, what are these "misfires"?
Araminta Kane gave kudos