TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
madmusician
Wicko posted:
The first part nearly overran into Midnight!

There's absolutely no way it would have overrun into midnight. Even the most half-arsed village hall band knows they should stop for midnight. It was the whole point of the programme!

But it did Steve. The band started singing AFTER their Countdown clock had told them to stop. The BBC did cut away and faded out "Get Happy" to cover the fireworks. There was 15 seconds between them cutting away and showing Big Ben. The whole build up had been ruined by the stupid singers continuing to perform. I wish the BBC would cut away from the concert at 11.55 so we can have a proper build up. It all felt flat this year.

Their countdown screens did also say 'Slow montage into Get Lucky', though, so whilst I too initially thought that they were counting down to a hard-opt into the fireworks feed, perhaps it was for something else.

I agree with you, though, that Nile Rogers did go on too long and if we were supposed to see Nile go out onto the balcony for a nice transition into the fireworks feed, then that was lost because he went too late, and they had to cut away.
VM
VMPhil
Yes I think in previous years the performer has gone out on the balcony to talk about how the concert was going with the presenter. I assume Nile Rodger’s speech about his health accounted for this being cut?
GO
gordonthegopher
Wicko posted:
The first part nearly overran into Midnight!

There's absolutely no way it would have overrun into midnight. Even the most half-arsed village hall band knows they should stop for midnight. It was the whole point of the programme!

But it did Steve. The band started singing AFTER their Countdown clock had told them to stop. The BBC did cut away and faded out "Get Happy" to cover the fireworks. There was 15 seconds between them cutting away and showing Big Ben. The whole build up had been ruined by the stupid singers continuing to perform. I wish the BBC would cut away from the concert at 11.55 so we can have a proper build up. It all felt flat this year.

Yeah The singer had to touch Nile's arm and point to the screen saying NILE - WALK NOW
SW
Steve Williams
Yes I think in previous years the performer has gone out on the balcony to talk about how the concert was going with the presenter. I assume Nile Rodger’s speech about his health accounted for this being cut?

I'm sure that's not been the case - I remember having this exact same conversation when Queen did it the other year and they were still doing The Show Must Go On until about thirty seconds to midnight. But there's absolutely no way they would have overrun into midnight. It wasn't like they were doing improvisational free jazz, they've performed these songs hundreds of times before and know how long they last. The other post said that it went to Big Ben with fifteen seconds to go, but they were there by midnight, so what's wrong with that? The options are performing right up until midnight, or stopping with minutes to go but then you have an awkward gap - and I can't think a couple of inarticulate vox pops would be any more exciting than the band continuing to play.

I'm afraid I simply can't believe that Nile Rodgers and his band would have blithely performed through midnight. They're professional entertainers, their set list was approved and they knew why they were there. It may be the case that the timings were a bit tight because people wanted to touch Nile or something, but there was no way they would have kept going.

And even if they did, there's no way the Beeb would have missed midnight.
JE
Jenny Founding member
I notice the McMafia trailers now have a copyright symbol after the title, rather than a registered trademark symbol. I was a bit surprised the latter passed compliance in the first place...
IT
Ittr
Jenny posted:
I notice the McMafia trailers now have a copyright symbol after the title, rather than a registered trademark symbol. I was a bit surprised the latter passed compliance in the first place...

They probably put the wrong symbol in and it remained until the BBC spotted it.
JO
Josh
JoshX posted:

Saw this on my feed. Has this been done before?

Long behold, it did actually work.

:-(
A former member
Another ECP failure - this time at the end of Homes Under the Hammer this morning on BBC ONE NI:

HA
Hayden
Another ECP failure - this time at the end of Homes Under the Hammer this morning on BBC ONE NI:

Anything that means we get to see that lovely BBC graphic on air is a bonus in my book!
DO
dosxuk
I miss the clouds Sad
IT
Ittr

Anything that means we get to see that lovely BBC graphic on air is a bonus in my book!

2 times already this year... and we're not even halfway through January!
BA
bilky asko
Rob Brydon just trailed Would I Lie To You? as being on BBC One and BBC One HD. How long has it been since that was in common usage?

Newer posts