TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mr_vivian
I wouldn't mind the Oneness Idents if French and Saunders starred in them.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

2. Retaining the globe symbol for BBC One was seen imperialistic and a relic from the days of broadcasting to the British Empire.

Seen by whom? What percentage of the viewing public actually remembers the British Empire?

The British Empire was formally dissolved in 1997, so not that long ago.

Wasn't it The Brittas Empire that ended in 1997? Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
I really do not get why the BBC wastes all their money on these horrific "oneness" idents. They clearly do not represent the programmes and are a slap to the face to TV license payers.

I'm pretty sure the BBC didn't spend all their money on the Oneness idents.

But seriously, with an ever competitive market its more important than ever for TV channels to have strong brands and identities. But also the BBC have got to move on and realise they need to be attracting a younger audience who will remain loyal, pay the licence fee and watch programmes in years to come. It doesn't help that BBC One doesn't have a property of its own like BBC Two has with its '2'.

Branding is so important and even with the BBC it effectively pays for itself. Government departments still do it so the BBC definately should be paying more attention to it - it doesn't have to be expensive, just smart, though sometimes the smartest thing to do is invest heavily now and reap the rewards for years to come.

Sadly social media branding is probably more important to them now than channel branding but even there there are glimpses of what they can do, notably with the recently introduced BBC News sting for videos which is so simple, so current and actually still on brand, and it could easily be the template to introduce a contemporary new look across BBC News whilst retaining core elements of the previous brand.
DP
D.Page
That screenshot just reminds me of this stupid joke mock I did a year ago. Well, it makes me laugh anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unjf8GOh498

Using a clip sourced from one of my uploads I see.

Just a screenshot- seeing as it's not a public video and just for the enjoyment of this forum, of which you are a member, and I didn't delete your watermark, I assumed it would be okay.

Just ask for my permission next time please. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect to be approached for permission to be granted first.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Like you get permission from the BBC to capture their copyright material? WIth due respect, get over yourself.
JO
Josh

Saw this on my feed. Has this been done before?
VM
VMPhil

Using a clip sourced from one of my uploads I see.

Just a screenshot- seeing as it's not a public video and just for the enjoyment of this forum, of which you are a member, and I didn't delete your watermark, I assumed it would be okay.

Just ask for my permission next time please. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect to be approached for permission to be granted first.

Like you get permission from the BBC to capture their copyright material? WIth due respect, get over yourself.

I agree with Steve on this matter, if not as harsh in tone, but after receiving two PMs from you while away from the forum I don't wish to cause further upset and have removed the link to the video from my post.
PF
PFML84
JoshX posted:

Yes, the BBC have been putting programme trailers on Twitter for years.
MR
mr_vivian
JoshX posted:

Yes, the BBC have been putting programme trailers on Twitter for years.

I think he means the Retweet Reminder functionality. I've not seen this before.
Josh, orange and bilky asko gave kudos
PF
PFML84
I think he means the Retweet Reminder functionality. I've not seen this before.

I know, it was a joke, or at least an attempt at one!
TI
TIGHazard
Just spotted this at the end of NFL This Week - A New "Get Inspired" sting.

Maybe it debuted after Final Score/MOTD but they aren't on iPlayer so I don't know.
WI
Wicko
The first part nearly overran into Midnight!

There's absolutely no way it would have overrun into midnight. Even the most half-arsed village hall band knows they should stop for midnight. It was the whole point of the programme!

But it did Steve. The band started singing AFTER their Countdown clock had told them to stop. The BBC did cut away and faded out "Get Happy" to cover the fireworks. There was 15 seconds between them cutting away and showing Big Ben. The whole build up had been ruined by the stupid singers continuing to perform. I wish the BBC would cut away from the concert at 11.55 so we can have a proper build up. It all felt flat this year.

Newer posts