« Topics
D.Page
I personally find the Bog Snorkellers one an abomination: not only badly executed, as per all the oneness idents, but not quirky or amusing in the least (which I assume was the intention). Just plain daft in a set of idents that already lack any ounce of credibility.

There's two of those: Giraffe and Balloon versions.
Brekkie28,238 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Drone Racers' First TX, captured by yours truly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG-TG14EkDQ

Drones are supposed to be exciting and fun. This ident is neither.

Congrats to all the BBC creatives involved in a brilliant Christmas BBC1 campaign.

See you again in December.

Well for the last few years the BBC have only cared about EastEnders and comedy at Christmas time, so we can probably add presentation to that list too.

I did think they might at least try and rescue the campaign by re-editing them in the way I someone did here early on to show they could at least look a bit more respectable, but no, same old it seems. The difference is now they look (and crucially, sound) even worse considering how effective the Christmas branding was.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
RDJ2,207 posts since 25 Oct 2003
Central (South) Midlands Today
Nice to see Vista being played out before A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong.

Think they only done that as Vista is played out within the show as a further gag. I would have hoped they decided it was a beautiful ident so just decided to keep on airing it but that's unlikely to be the case.
Central News South
January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
JamesLaverty192529 posts since 28 Feb 2017
Central (East) East Midlands Today
The Skaters ident is gross. It is ugly and annoying and I have just seen it to introduce the film Bedtime Stories which reminded me how bad that particular ident is. I did expect to see Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class this morning, but these have gone awol. And, how many idents still shown were filmed in the South of England? Answer? None!

I do find the locations a bit strange. I vaguely remember last year they said all the regions would have idents, although it seems to be very top heavy to certain parts, particuarly with Drone Racers and Ten Pin Bowlers, which were filmed within a 10 minute walk of each other (guessing it was same crew at all).

Note- while I was typing Network showed Vista into Christmas Carol Goes Wrong, so are we in a weird time of both Oneness and Christmas Idents?
D.Page
Cardiff showed Vista too. They must be feeling sorry for us for bringing Oneness back. NI haven't even played the two new ones yet. Evidently embarrassed to add them to the rota Confused
Caly123 gave kudos
Stuart6,770 posts since 13 Oct 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
The Skaters ident is gross. It is ugly and annoying and I have just seen it to introduce the film Bedtime Stories which reminded me how bad that particular ident is.

Your comment made me have quick look back at "Skateboarders" from 2003 as a comparison.

I wasn't a particular fan of the 'Rhythm & Movement' idents from the noughties, but the production values were undoubtedly superior. I did enjoy "circles" as I felt all the idents portrayed high quality and were imaginative.

However, comparing something like "skateboarding" with the "skaters" of today shows how far downhill BBC One has travelled in terms of channel identity:

"Oneness" hasn't even developed over the last 12 months. Even with "Balloons", we saw it move to the point where just a glimpse of the balloon behind buildings, monuments or structures was enough to portray the channel together with the familiar piano jingle.

I see nothing of that from "oneness". I see no scope for development beyond yet more miserable and mediocre video clips.
Last edited by Stuart on 1 January 2018 1:55pm
DE88, JetixFann450 and 2 others
  • Brekkie
  • Jay Lee
gave kudos
Andrew Wood3,354 posts since 30 Mar 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
The Skaters ident is gross. It is ugly and annoying and I have just seen it to introduce the film Bedtime Stories which reminded me how bad that particular ident is. I did expect to see Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class this morning, but these have gone awol. And, how many idents still shown were filmed in the South of England? Answer? None!

Totally agree with you about Skaters. I have a real loathing for that particular ident. As for Sea Swimmers, Northern Ireland have just used it before Maleficent.