« Topics
VMPhil9,698 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
The 1978 BBC2 Christmas ident has been rediscovered, though you have to be a member of Kaleidoscope's Facebook group to actually see it. What a tease… https://www.facebook.com/groups/213621825197/

sda| gave kudos
Neil Jones5,305 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Benefit of off-air recordings as Bob did - looks like he saved the presentation too. Can't be sure which ITV region(s) his off-air recordings came from though, but he's documented as having lived and died not far from Leighton Buzzard which appears to straddle the transmission limits of what would have then been Anglia and ATV/Central but of course doesn't mean his recordings were done there, though its most likely they were...
DE88 gave kudos
Hatton Cross3,242 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yep. Leighton Buzzard straddles the ATV/Central, Anglia and Thames/Carlton/LWT regions.

All of his recordings were done at 'Claridges' (the official name of the Monkhouse residence) I've heard it said he had upto 4 VCR's in different rooms around the house.

In fact I think its mentioned on the BBC Four documentary about him and his collection, that even when he was away at his holiday home in Barbados, he still sent a weekly list of programmes to record back to the UK for the housekeeper to record
Last edited by Hatton Cross on 23 December 2017 12:47pm
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
DE88 gave kudos
Hatton Cross3,242 posts since 4 Jan 2003
He would also ask for both editions of the same programme recorded, if they aired on the same night and the first tx was live.

Just to see if there was a difference or extra material on the repeated version - TFI Friday as a perfect example.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
DE88 gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,667 posts since 25 Aug 2004

What a fantastic couple of videos, a moment of TV history (although they could do without the drunken shouting at parts). I know of one of the engineers on that night who was TC on UK Gold and had to keep on working when everyone else was switching stuff off and going home for the last time. Some familiar faces in the crowd

Also interesting to see what's on the other monitors in the stack - the monitor showing what looks like a guard VT copy of the last programme changes to the caption that the channels on BSB's satellite Marcopolo put out when they closed. Incidently the guard copy doesn't have the MD's speech at the end of it.

Between videos, the monitor to the left of the clock changes to show UK Gold, who are also showing Big Ben. At the top there's the output of a capgen with 'Goodbye from Thames' on a lower third, maybe for some outgoing lines rather than transmission use. Also on the far right of the stack there is a teletext-like display, this looks like the 'IDENT' system used by channel 4 to tell the regions when the ad breaks are due. It's empty because that way of doing adverts ended at midnight too
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 1 January 2018 10:46am - 3 times in total
VMPhil, paul_hadley and 5 others
  • DE88
  • NeilMiles
  • JasonB
  • nwtv2003
  • MMcG198
gave kudos