The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
I found out on Twitter, then went to the Sky News app. Job done.
MO
Mouseboy33

In that case why not Global, to have it sit alongside LBC, maybe replace LBC News with Sky News Radio? Sky already provide news to them.

ITN could snap them up perhaps?

And go around full circle with around 20 years ago when LBC 97.3/ News Direct 1152 was owned and based at 200 Grays Inn Road, before Chysalis Radio brought it and moved it down to Bramley Road.

If you've listened to the output of LBC News 1152 during the weekend daytime, you'll know it is basically
LBC Sky News Audio 1152.
Vast amounts of Sunrise and Sky News Today are hacked to pieces and played out hour after hour, only interspursed with the presenter linking it all together, repetitive adverts for tooth implants, PPI and travel news telling you about a spillage of drainage fluid on the North Circular, and a cow on the Northern Line between Burnt Oak and Collindale.

ITN NewDirect was brilliant back in the day.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, NewsDirect was the best incarnation of that service. Travel on the Ones in particular was very useful. But even with an FM frequency and less competition it didn't get as god an audience as it's current day successor apparently gets
MD
mdtauk

And go around full circle with around 20 years ago when LBC 97.3/ News Direct 1152 was owned and based at 200 Grays Inn Road, before Chysalis Radio brought it and moved it down to Bramley Road.

If you've listened to the output of LBC News 1152 during the weekend daytime, you'll know it is basically
LBC Sky News Audio 1152.
Vast amounts of Sunrise and Sky News Today are hacked to pieces and played out hour after hour, only interspursed with the presenter linking it all together, repetitive adverts for tooth implants, PPI and travel news telling you about a spillage of drainage fluid on the North Circular, and a cow on the Northern Line between Burnt Oak and Collindale.

I have never actually listened to LBC London News, just the main LBC radio station - but the cosy relationship with Sky is clear. But LBC has been building it's reputation in recent years, moving from a London only station. I could see a cross promotional thing, and featuring LBC presenters on screen etc. Kinda like The Pledge, but Nick Ferrari with James O'Brien and others.
Last edited by mdtauk on 21 December 2017 3:29pm
WH
Whitnall
Global radio (who owns LBC), apparently has a TV devision, I wonder if they want to take over a news channel? Confused
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I have never actually listened to LBC London News, just the main LBC radio station - but the cosy relationship with Sky is clear.

Does LBC have a relationship with Sky or are they just using Sky content made available to them via IRN?
LL
Yes, NewsDirect was the best incarnation of that service. Travel on the Ones in particular was very useful. But even with an FM frequency and less competition it didn't get as god an audience as it's current day successor apparently gets

(ITN) News Direct was based on the winning format used at New York's 1010 WINS.
LL
Global radio (who owns LBC), apparently has a TV devision, I wonder if they want to take over a news channel? Confused

They operate two low budget music channels based on their music radio brands Heart and Capital. However, I wouldn't put it past them to launch LBC TV, which would be cheap to operate as the main LBC studio is television friendly.
MD
mdtauk
I have never actually listened to LBC London News, just the main LBC radio station - but the cosy relationship with Sky is clear.

Does LBC have a relationship with Sky or are they just using Sky content made available to them via IRN?

Other than content sharing, maybe not, but many LBC Hosts praise Sky and dislike the BBC - Nick Ferrari hosts The Pledge, etc.
HC
Hatton Cross

As LBC is Global Radio's talk radio outlet, and Global Radio is IRN's biggest customer, and IRN is operated by Sky News - you would expect the relationship to be cosier there than with a Global run AOR/CHR same 25 tracks in a row music station.
LL
LBC ultimately does the same job for Global as Sky News does for Sky by giving the company access to politicians.
IS
Inspector Sands

As LBC is Global Radio's talk radio outlet, and Global Radio is IRN's biggest customer

Global is also majority shareholder in IRN

Newer posts