« Topics
noggin14,167 posts since 26 Jun 2001
Outside Source proving it's a poor vessel for breaking news.

Is it specifically the OS format or that it's a World simulcast that makes it not work?

I flipped over to the BBC News Channel briefly when I heard of the Damian Green resignation, but because the coverage was a simulcast, there was that strange 'World-friendly' presentation which makes it feel like you're watching a non-UK broadcaster cover it. I flipped briefly to Sky then decided to wait until the Ten O'Clock News...

(Personally I'm not a fan of Outside Source. Feels incredibly dated)
itsrobert gave kudos
ittrgrey315 posts since 30 Sep 2017

Is it specifically the OS format or that it's a World simulcast that makes it not work?

I flipped over to the BBC News Channel briefly when I heard of the Damian Green resignation, but because the coverage was a simulcast, there was that strange 'World-friendly' presentation which makes it feel like you're watching a non-UK broadcaster cover it. I flipped briefly to Sky then decided to wait until the Ten O'Clock News...

That is another reason the News at 9 should come back.
noggin14,167 posts since 26 Jun 2001
Why are they still putting graphics on reports that aren't lower-thirds-safe? Shocked Rolling Eyes
(these were translations)

I bet the package aired was designed for web. Shame no one noticed to kill the straps.

Probably a better solution would be a DVE push-back macro that would shrink the content slightly to make it safe, so you could keep the straps on-screen? That would also solve the problem that a lot of web text ignores graphic safety and is cropped on many TVs. (Though it won't help 14:9 BBC World News viewers who routinely watch horribly cropped text)
radiolistener617 posts since 8 Aug 2010

BBC World (like the World Service on the radio) are obsessed with African stories, so when there is breaking political news in UK we are being patronised about a story from Africa.
radiolistener617 posts since 8 Aug 2010

It feels utterly pointless and not the sort of show that should be on at 'peak'.

But then Beyond 100 Days just seems to be there to justify the expense of an American studio and team. Why not an American news show at say 11.30 in the evening? 7pm should be there for people who may still be coming home from work and have missed "the six".

At 'peak' time there should be peak news not fluff.
cityprod1,898 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight

It feels utterly pointless and not the sort of show that should be on at 'peak'.

But then Beyond 100 Days just seems to be there to justify the expense of an American studio and team. Why not an American news show at say 11.30 in the evening? 7pm should be there for people who may still be coming home from work and have missed "the six".

At 'peak' time there should be peak news not fluff.

Considering that studio is also used for World News America, which also airs on PBS stations, and Beyond 100 Days is about to join PBS as well, frankly that statement feels like a massive insult to both the BBC and PBS.
i-lied gave kudos
dvboy9,679 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today

To be fair, it broke at about 20:40 and they did spend the time up to the top of the hour on it before OS led on it, but yes the OS format does not deal with domestic news well, breaking or otherwise.

What I really don't like is when a domestic story - which would perhaps be the lead on the NC at 20:00 or 22:00 - airing in World's break at 21:15, usually with a brief package cut short for a sting as World rejoin.
BBI45 gave kudos