TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DP
D.Page
Getting a little sarcastic now.
DB
dbl
Putting some poorly-formatted text on top of a 20+ year old ident is a concept?

Spot on. To be honest, it's shambles, just a nostalgic rose-tinted spectacles but wouldn't be acceptable anywhere else.
KU
Kunst
From an aesthetic point of view, it looks nice: there's almost no doubt about it

However, that's it, the fact they have to resort to a shoot of an older ident is pretty poor for me
I completely agree in general that their presentation is in shambles (and I'm afraid in general the presentation standards from the BBC): old idents, poor endboards, lack of general consistency etc. but I'm not telling anything new I'm afraid

16 days later

BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Don't ask how I came to work this out, but something of a milestone - today those 1991 idents are exactly as old as BBC 2 itself was back when they were introduced.

Or, in other words, the channel now has been using that '2' for over half the time it has been on air (yes, ignoring those years it very slightly changed).
AD
Announcer Duncan
Well there's a Steve Wright Factoid!
DP
D.Page
Wish they would raid the cupboard and dig out the entire 1991-2001 set, shorten the overnight filler early tomorrow morning by half an hour or however long it needs to be (who would notice) and play them all back-to-back in full length, with no anno and in their original ratios. Now, that would be the best Christmas present ...ever.
GM
nodnirG kraM
Enough about ident wet dreams please. Phil's post was a question; a question can't be sarcastic. Speaking of sarcasm:

Back on topic: Oneness is a far better concept than BBC Two's current shambolic presentation set. Oneness has a purpose, all the presentation has a focused message, and the layout is fresh and easy for the audience to understand. BBC Two, however, has simply rehashed its 25 year old archive and superimposed a misaligned teal box in the corner. Oneness wins.
MR
mr_vivian
Enough about ident wet dreams please. Phil's post was a question; a question can't be sarcastic. Speaking of sarcasm:

Back on topic: Oneness is a far better concept than BBC Two's current shambolic presentation set. Oneness has a purpose, all the presentation has a focused message, and the layout is fresh and easy for the audience to understand. BBC Two, however, has simply rehashed its 25 year old archive and superimposed a misaligned teal box in the corner. Oneness wins.

I've always liked BBC 2's 90s ident set. I don't think they'll ever be topped. It's just a shame their soundtracks and ratios have dated and that's the big issue with them at the moment.
JO
Jonny
It's just a shame their soundtracks... have dated

Please, don't give them ideas.

That's exactly the kind of talk that will get us Franz Ferdinand played over Silk, or worse, an a capella group.

As for Mark's original comment, the Artsnight set is the answer staring everyone in the face but for whatever reason remains restricted to one or two junctions some Saturday nights. Bizarre and annoying.
DB
dbl
Jonny posted:
It's just a shame their soundtracks... have dated

Please, don't give them ideas.

That's exactly the kind of talk that will get us Franz Ferdinand played over Silk, or worse, an a capella group.

As for Mark's original comment, the Artsnight set is the answer staring everyone in the face but for whatever reason remains restricted to one or two junctions some Saturday nights. Bizarre and annoying.

Didn't work out too badly for Alt-J:

But I agree, not on the 90s idents - they are waaay past it. The novelty has worn off.
GM
nodnirG kraM
Oh yeah, the era in which the logo form-up was reversed. I liked that much better.

Do I remember rightly that 2 NI at one point had just a BBC logo - no box, no "TWO".
VM
VMPhil
I wouldn't say the soundtracks on the 90s idents have aged that badly. I'd definitely say the visuals, especially on the earliest idents like Blade with its two tone black/white background, are very obviously rooted in the time they were made.

I think a lot of the later ones don't tend to have that air about them, perhaps because they're less arty than the initial set and more playful. Such as Duck, Kebab, Predator, Woodpecker, and Zapper. Even 'Aerial', though obviously the concept for that is out of date now.

I still think 'Silk' is a beautiful ident and works well going into sensitive programming.

Newer posts