Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Not that they had many more choices of channels to watch back then anyway!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
A spot of spoof continuity from the Les Dennis Christmas Laughter Show in 1990

I don't think that Christmas globe ident was ever used?

VM
VMPhil
Here's another BBC1 breakdown, from eleven years later. One you've probably all seen as it was on TV Ark for years, a very long breakdown where it seems just as the film was about to begin, it broke down. By a happy coincidence I think this is Peter Brook announcing again!

Anyway, I'm posting it again here as on YouTube you can also experience what BBC Wales on 1 were doing. Particularly interesting as the continuity announcer is clearly listening to what is being announced on the network!

JA
james-2001
I have to say I really don't like people who take videos from sites like TV Ark and upload them to their own accounts. Sadly, there's klots of examples of it out there.
VM
VMPhil
Not much I can do about that seeing as TV Ark is offline at the moment.
DE
DE88
The start of MOTD, 15 August 1970. "We hope you like the new music." Wink

And the Goal of the Month contenders for January 1974, including three from the same Man City v Coventry match:

Personally, I think it's even better that these clips are in monochrome.
IS
Inspector Sands
Here's another BBC1 breakdown, from eleven years later. One you've probably all seen as it was on TV Ark for years, a very long breakdown where it seems just as the film was about to begin, it broke down. By a happy coincidence I think this is Peter Brook announcing again!

Of all the films to fail it had to be one with 'can wait' in the title.

Wonder what happened there. For it to be so bad a problem that they have to abandon a programme completely is very unusual. Possibly the tape got mangled or stuck in the machine so badly that they knew there was no hope
JA
JAS84

Anyway, I'm posting it again here as on YouTube you can also experience what BBC Wales on 1 were doing. Particularly interesting as the continuity announcer is clearly listening to what is being announced on the network!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCSfoxjbDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOweaaE1EKM
Interesting that the two apology captions have slightly different wording. "will" vs "hope to"
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Wonder what happened there. For it to be so bad a problem that they have to abandon a programme completely is very unusual. Possibly the tape got mangled or stuck in the machine so badly that they knew there was no hope

Interestingly according to Genome it was never rescheduled. Whether this was intended as a final play before the rights expired I don't know.
VM
VMPhil

At around 3:20 when another announcement is made, it sounds like something is whirring in the background - would that be something to do with whatever is being used to playback the breakdown music?
HC
Hatton Cross
I'd say that would be a good shout.
It's too loud for it to be a cart machine recuing back to the start - those had a very subtle 'wrrrr' when doing that.

At first it sounds like a 1/4" tape rewind spinning, but I don't know why they'd use that for breakdowns, as CD's would have been the goto choice for broadcasters by then, so it must be that, and process of elimination - a very noisy (or one with a developing fault) reading laser carriage returning back to 'base' in the player.
JA
james-2001
Particularly as pres were in brand new facilities at that time, I think they'd only opened the previous year, would they have been kitting it out with cart machines, 1/4 reel to reel players and gram decks by then?

Newer posts