The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mromega
Sky are launching a new behind-the-headlines show: Hotspots
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-takes-on-fake-news-in-revealing-new-programme-hotspots-11162578

Monday on Sky Atlantic, Tuesday on Sky News
EE
EastEngland
I don't see any difference on the website? hasn't it been this design for ages?

The site in 2010 didn't really reflect the entire design in use at the time.

https://ibb.co/g0TC0G

There was another design between the 2010 one and the current design.

Last night for a few hours the gradient background for the navigation at the top was a solid dark-ish grey rather than a background image before changing back to the gradient again.
EE
EastEngland
Sky are launching a new behind-the-headlines show: Hotspots
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-takes-on-fake-news-in-revealing-new-programme-hotspots-11162578

Monday on Sky Atlantic, Tuesday on Sky News

This seems very similar to the new Behind the Headlines series that Tom is doing as a podcast, just in a different format?
TV
TVViewer256
Just seen rehearsal pics. Seems that they didn't like the new sunrise logo with the arcs!
SK
skyviewer
Just seen rehearsal pics. Seems that they didn't like the new sunrise logo with the arcs!

Oh, then you can probably also tell us if they still like the colour blue?!
EE
EastEngland

You seem to suggest there will be a graphics change with the new studio, which I always expected and no doubt it will be at the same time as a new logo. But please tell me it's not back to sterile white again?

They started that with the glass box and we heard from the Sky apologists that we would get used to it and there was nothing wrong and much better and will not be adding colour to the studio as it was not needed we were too critical and they know best.

Despite that we saw a slow drawn out predictable retreat from the 'nothing wrong' and 'much better' studio when they firstly added additional lighting, then blues, then reds, then changed the screen graphics in admission that the initial design was too clinical.

I'm hoping they've learnt the lessons of the launch of the glass box which was too clinical and the feedback they've been getting over the past few weeks that suggests even in it's improved more colourful state, the glass box is less popular than the old studio which is both more versatile and more suited to much of the content.
Last edited by EastEngland on 9 December 2017 7:11pm
DavidWhitfield and UBox gave kudos
:-(
A former member
I don't see any difference on the website? hasn't it been this design for ages?

The site in 2010 didn't really reflect the entire design in use at the time.

https://ibb.co/g0TC0G

There was another design between the 2010 one and the current design.

Last night for a few hours the gradient background for the navigation at the top was a solid dark-ish grey rather than a background image before changing back to the gradient again.

The top is grey if the background image doesn’t load.
TV
TVViewer256

In short, yes they do, however it's a bit more complicated
SK
skyviewer

In short, yes they do, however it's a bit more complicated

Maybe something that flips from white to blue and then white again
EE
EastEngland
What is the new set going to be used for?

I think we've seen the benefits of the softer set on the more relaxed segments of programming in the last few weeks. The 3pm-5pm segment feels so much better as does the press preview.

I also think that if they're going to continue to prevent coverage from the glass box after 9pm or return it to overnights it has to be in conjunction with less bright white lighting.

SInce Sophy Ridge / Niall Patterson shows are serious shows I think they are more suited to the glass box.
:-(
A former member
I wonder if we’re going to see something more like the set used for Newsnight, Sunday Politics etc? Either way it’s going to be quite a departure from anything they’ve used before by the sound of it - I can’t remember them ever having anything without a working newsroom/building as the background (temporary sets aside).
EE
EastEngland
I hope the set is a more soft set or has a more soft element since this is the biggest failing of the glass box.

Ever since the move back to the old studio the softer aspects of the output have felt far more relaxed both for presenter and guests whereas in the glass box they looked more awkward, formal and rigid, I've even seen people describe at as "intimidating"

Newer posts