TV Home Forum

Sounds Like Friday Night

New 'Top of the Pops'-style BBC music show (July 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
dvboy posted:
BBC Studio Audiences email:
Quote:
Top of the Pops will be returning to BBC One this Christmas season with two special festive shows, a Christmas Day show and a New Year Special. Filmed at Elstree Film Studios, the show will feature exclusive performances from some of the year’s biggest stars.

What's this increasing trend to incorrectly use the term 'filmed' to describe such events.

The correct term is 'recorded'

The definition of "filmed" is "recorded on film", so either can be used.
MA
Markymark
[quote="kernow" pid="1088002"]
dvboy posted:
quote]

What's this increasing trend to incorrectly use the term 'filmed' to describe such events.

The correct term is 'recorded'

The definition of "filmed" is "recorded on film", so either can be used.

Yes, but it's not recorded on film is it ?
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:
I’m sure most people would say ‘filmed’ if they saw Coronation Street scenes being shot in public and as this is a website aimed at the general public rather the industry I think it’s perfectly ok to use that term.

Well, people are wrong to say 'filmed', so all it does is to perpetrate their ignorance.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:
I’m sure most people would say ‘filmed’ if they saw Coronation Street scenes being shot in public and as this is a website aimed at the general public rather the industry I think it’s perfectly ok to use that term.

Well, people are wrong to say 'filmed', so all it does is to perpetrate their ignorance.

This matters why?
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:
Jon posted:

This matters why?

You pose an interesting philosophical question ( perhaps)

Does it matter that silicon and silicone are regularly mixed up in printed and verbal form ?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Sadly, language evolved.

Collins Dictionary posted:
Film
a sequence of images of moving objects photographed by a camera and providing the optical illusion of continuous movement when projected onto a screen

Actually using celluloid is not reqired by that definition.
MA
Markymark
Sadly, language evolved.

Collins Dictionary posted:
Film
a sequence of images of moving objects photographed by a camera and providing the optical illusion of continuous movement when projected onto a screen

Actually using celluloid is not reqired by that definition.

True ! It's a good point.

I've yet to see a TV production control room with any paintings on the wall ?

'Song' used to describe what I call a 'track' (regardless whether it's instrumental or not) is another interesting one.
DE
DE88
dvboy posted:
Quote:
Top of the Pops will be returning to BBC One this Christmas season with two special festive shows, a Christmas Day show and a New Year Special. Filmed at Elstree Film Studios, the show will feature exclusive performances from some of the year’s biggest stars.

Not all that surprising that the TOTP specials are staying at Elstree for now. The fourth consecutive year there, I believe.

Presumably, they won't return to TVC while SLFN remains on the air. And I'm guessing that they'll only be made at the redeveloped Riverside if both Elstree and TVC are unavailable.

I take it Fearne and Reggie will be the hosts once again? If indeed so, they'll be hosting the Christmas show for the *fourteenth* consecutive year. A cliche this may be, but how different the world was in 2004... Shocked

10 days later

DV
dvboy
No Reggie: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42231416
CY
cylon6
Always suspected the criticism for Reggie wasn't going away on this one.
NG
noggin Founding member

Does it matter that silicon and silicone are regularly mixed up in printed and verbal form ?

It does if you study semiconductor physics...
MA
Markymark

It does if you study semiconductor physics...

....or are a cosmetic surgeon Cool

Newer posts