TV Home Forum

UTV rebrand

New look to bring it in line with ITV (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard

Sorry, but I’ve lived in Northern Ireland all my life, and that simply isn’t true.

I think that was true in the past (the Unionist government in NI tried to get the official name of NI changed to Ulster in the 50s) but not really now.

When ITV arrived in NI, it was a UK Government matter rather than a devolved one. The ITA awarded the licence to a group of companies that represented the whole community.

The name wasn’t welcome in all areas, and, for example the nationalist Derry Journal initially listed it as “Ulster” TV with the quotes as shown.

That's mostly correct - Ulster was proposed however it was rejected in 1949 mainly due to no agreement from the Republic of Ireland and that's 10 years before Ulster TV was launched in 1959. BBC Radio Ulster was then launched 26 years after the decision in 1975.

So, from our point of view Northern Ireland is inside Ulster and both terms are correct and so there's really no issue here.

It's just interesting that ITV chose describing their well known news service as "ITV Ulster" over "UTV Live".

I feel it'll be the new name if/when UTV becomes itv and you may only see Ulster mentioned for the news. It would streamline it for them.

I think ITV Northern Ireland or ITV NI Is more likely. They use “Good Morning Northern Ireland” using GMB. “Good Morning Ulster” is used by Radio Ulster. “Good Morning Scotland” is, however, used by both Radio Scotland and STV.
DE
denton
The name wasn’t welcome in all areas, and, for example the nationalist Derry Journal initially listed it as “Ulster” TV with the quotes as shown.

But then the Derry Journal would most likely have put "Northern Ireland" Television in quotes too.
Occupied Six Counties Gerrymandered Statelet Television would probably have been ok.
The people who will have a problem with either Northern Ireland or Ulster in the name of a TV channel, are the kind of people who actively go out of their way to have a problem.
The vast majority of people won't care what it's called, as long as Emmerdale and Coronation Street are still on.
CH
chinamug
I don't normally watch UTV these days but I just caught Julian Simmons link to news. He's stopped announcing it as the news from ITN, but he gave a time check Shocked Now I assume it was recorded as it was about 20 seconds out. However, when he used to do them live, he was out by that much (and More) about half the time.
RI
Richard
I don't normally watch UTV these days but I just caught Julian Simmons link to news. He's stopped announcing it as the news from ITN, but he gave a time check Shocked Now I assume it was recorded as it was about 20 seconds out. However, when he used to do them live, he was out by that much (and More) about half the time.

I noticed that too. Thought it was strange that he gave such an “exact” time in a check, especially as it followed a live programme “I’m a celebrity”
RI
Richard

But then the Derry Journal would most likely have put "Northern Ireland" Television in quotes too.

Yes - on Radio it listed the “Northern Ireland Home Service” as “Six Counties”
WW
WW Update

As an aside, West Germany's most-read TV listings magazine Hörzu published East German TV listings, but for many years, it identified the service as "Ostzone Fernsehen" ("Eastern Zone Television"), rather than give its official name. Later on, it referred to "DDR" (German Democratic Republic) Television, with the "DDR" always in quotes.

Meanwhile, the East German TV listings didn't mention West German services at all.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I had to laugh at Amir Khan calling ITV "Channel 3" like people used to do in the analogue days

Joe Swash found it funny as well so it's not just me
Last edited by Andrew on 20 November 2017 10:48pm

8 days later

DE
denton
I think that the UTV Live late news was "almost" in HD.

I know that the CSO backdrop is normally in HD, but the camera on the newsreader is fuzzy SD. But tonight (admittedly it's the first time in ages that I've watched it) it looked like the newsreader was in HD too! Frank's weather was certainly still SD, and the graphics all appeared to still be SD too.

Not a lot to get excited about, and rather odd of them to upgrade one camera... especially as they are moving next year.

Talking of the move... I drove past the City Quays 2 building over the weekend, and the UTV floor of the building was completely illuminated (all other floors in darkness). I wonder if the technical fit out has started yet?
RI
Richard
I think that the UTV Live late news was "almost" in HD.

I know that the CSO backdrop is normally in HD, but the camera on the newsreader is fuzzy SD. But tonight (admittedly it's the first time in ages that I've watched it) it looked like the newsreader was in HD too! Frank's weather was certainly still SD, and the graphics all appeared to still be SD too.

Not a lot to get excited about, and rather odd of them to upgrade one camera... especially as they are moving next year.

I noticed that too.

Don’t the short bulletins come from what was the IVC studio? Wasn’t that HD?
RI
Richard
On UTV a few moments ago, we had Julian introing the ITV News over an *ITV* ident rather than a UTV one.
MR
mr_vivian
On UTV a few moments ago, we had Julian introing the ITV News over an *ITV* ident rather than a UTV one.

Yeah, that's happened a few times. Someone pressed didn't press the UTV button -_-
:-(
A former member

Correct ident - UTV usually uses the Rhythmic Gymnastics one for the news - but as you say, ITV branded - and in glorious upscaled SD too!

Last edited by A former member on 1 December 2017 10:56pm

Newer posts