TV Home Forum

40 years since hijacking of Southern Televison

and 30 years since Max headroom in Chicago USA (November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member

Simple fact after 40 years its never been resolved on how it was done or who did it

No idea why people have linked the local news to the clips, since there was none, and the trouble first started during ITN news. Ad break and Cartoons.

Of course the USA had trouble aswell

Last edited by A former member on 29 November 2017 11:50pm - 2 times in total
BH
BillyH Founding member
There was an "interruption" of a late night ITV show in the early 1990s during an interview of Reeves & Mortimer, causing a couple of people to call in and ask what the hell had just happened - though given the way the interruption looked (vision mixed over the main programme with some static every now and again) it was almost certainly the programme itself having a laugh.
MA
Markymark

Simple fact after 40 years its never been resolved on how it was done or who did it

Simple fact, it is known how it was done, and that You Tube clip is complete fabricated bollox (I've explained all this before in here some years ago).

For starters Cliff Michelmore didn't join Southern TV until 1980, and Day By Day was a weekday only show

Only the audio was affected, (with a bit of patterning on video) and it interrupted the tea time ITN news, and cartoon on a Saturday. I remember seeing (well hearing it) at the time.
About as scary as Ghostwatch

You can hear a recording of the event here, with a couple of news reports about it tagged on the end

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/hannington/spacemessage-offair.mp3
Mike W, UKnews and bilky asko gave kudos
BH
BillyH Founding member
The annoying thing is about those Youtube clips (one of them has a completely anachronistic Cartoon Network logo during the cartoon) is that they make people think the entire thing is fake and no interruption ever happened.

Fake as in "not aliens", yes, but it wasn't some bloke on Youtube ten years ago, it was a bloke somewhere in the south of England forty years ago!
BL
bluecortina
Interesting that the Vrillons decided to switch Cliff Michelmore's voice with Ivor MIll's, and, managed to transport Cliff back to 1977 when in fact he never worked for Southern TV at the time. Simply amazing technology rather than that made up stuff on Dr Who. It is made up isn't it?
LL
Larry the Loafer
The incident was actually featured on an episode of It's a Mystery. Jump to 10:50

:-(
A former member
Even there didn't get it right, there have used southern local news instead of ITN news so there not helping matter either Wink
CY
cyberdude
Oddity Archive also covered it.

Skip to 8:36
TR
TROGGLES

Simple fact, it is known how it was done, and that You Tube clip is complete fabricated bollox (I've explained all this before in here some years ago).

For starters Cliff Michelmore didn't join Southern TV until 1980, and Day By Day was a weekday only show

Only the audio was affected, (with a bit of patterning on video) and it interrupted the tea time ITN news, and cartoon on a Saturday. I remember seeing (well hearing it) at the time.
About as scary as Ghostwatch

You can hear a recording of the event here, with a couple of news reports about it tagged on the end

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/hannington/spacemessage-offair.mp3

I love the fact that the police had enough resources to send someone round to a hysterical woman... how things have changed. Very Happy
IS
Inspector Sands
There was an "interruption" of a late night ITV show in the early 1990s during an interview of Reeves & Mortimer, causing a couple of people to call in and ask what the hell had just happened - though given the way the interruption looked (vision mixed over the main programme with some static every now and again) it was almost certainly the programme itself having a laugh.

I remember seeing this at the time and it freaked me out a bit. I was so convinced that it was a genuine pirate. I regretted taping over it... but then a while ago I discovered that it had been uploaded to YouTube:

(they're on about 44 minutes in)

The thing is that the clip isn't an off air as it has VT clocks, and it was uploaded by someone involved in the programme, so it was almost certainly part of the programme (unless it was an OB which I don't think it was). It looks too clean and perfectly in sync. It's either a fault or them having a laugh
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 27 November 2017 5:08pm - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands
It was the 30th anniversary of the Max Headroom incident last week. It's still not known who did it. Oddity Archive did an updated episode about it for the anniversary:

Its still a pretty scary bit of video all these years on, though incredibly it was featured on Newsround a couple of days later!
LL
Larry the Loafer
Numerous rumours and theories have emerged regarding the Max Headroom incident, most famously the recently debunked theory about two brothers. There was one that cropped up claiming to be the work of a comedian whose name escapes me, but it was never chased up.

Newer posts