TV Home Forum

The X Factor and Strictly

Split from New look BBC One - Jan 2017 (September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
mapperuo
Does seem ridiculous to derig the studio and broadcast kit just to have another set reassembled for next weekend. Guess they have money..

I assume next weeks finale will be a CTV OB out of a truck rather than the temporary gallery they setup for LH2?
:-(
A former member
Despite the falling ratings, this year has been absolutely brilliant for talent. There are a good 4 or 5 of the finalists who will go on to chart success I reckon.
MO
Mof
Does seem ridiculous to derig the studio and broadcast kit just to have another set reassembled for next weekend. Guess they have money..

I assume next weeks finale will be a CTV OB out of a truck rather than the temporary gallery they setup for LH2?

It will be. CTV OB10 as used at Wembley, and last week for Strictly.

VM
VMPhil
It’s a bit sad watching it now. Remember TV Burp followed by peak-era X Factor? That was a powerful combination.

All that head scratching, chopping and changing of judges and tweaks to the format and I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. Obviously the show can't stand up for itself without Harry Hill as a lead in.

Can't tell if serious…
DA
davidhorman
Despite the falling ratings, this year has been absolutely brilliant for talent. There are a good 4 or 5 of the finalists who will go on to chart success I reckon.

Are you taking bets on that?
DE
DE88
ITV quite rightly prioritising the continually high rating I'm a Celeb

I have to admit... I'm slightly amazed that I'm A Celeb still manages to attract 10 million viewers. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I was a fan until about 4-5 years ago, when I began to get the impression that the producers were becoming *considerably* more interested in generating press and social media attention for the show, and considerably *less* interested in trying out fresh ideas and giving all the celebs (proper, manufactured and obscure) their fair share of airtime.

This impression strengthened to the point that my patience with the show snapped completely during the 2015 series. I won't go into detail, as I'd say a lot of things that are probably more appropriate for Digital Spy - but suffice it to say, I have neither watched an episode nor read an article about the show since. Embarassed

Yet 10 million people still tune in. I certainly wouldn't disrespect anyone who still enjoys the Bushtucker Trials and all the other goings on in the Australian jungle (regardless of the producers' actions), just as I wouldn't disrespect anyone who enjoys BB, XF, Love Island etc. But 10 million is a figure I can't quite believe - given my disillusionment with the show, and the fact that it has now been on the air for 15 years... Embarassed

Don’t think it’s been mentioned but the finals will be taking place in Excel rather than Wembley. I’m surprised they’re still doing this, it will surely be the last time given the ratings.

The current contract runs until 2019... and I can't see Kevin Lygo wanting to terminate it early. Simon probably won't let him, anyway.
BA
bilky asko
The variety of celebrities mean that pretty much everyone watching has someone to relate to. Add to that the comedy elements throughout, the way it feels less manufactured than The X Factor, the constant of Ant and Dec, the iconic theme tune meaning you can trail for weeks with just one sound, and the way it's never had a successful clone, and I understand why it remains a success.
GO
gottago
DE88 posted:
Don’t think it’s been mentioned but the finals will be taking place in Excel rather than Wembley. I’m surprised they’re still doing this, it will surely be the last time given the ratings.

The current contract runs until 2019... and I can't see Kevin Lygo wanting to terminate it early. Simon probably won't let him, anyway.

I meant I’m surprised they still do the final elsewhere.
AA
Amber Avenger
It’s a bit sad watching it now. Remember TV Burp followed by peak-era X Factor? That was a powerful combination.

All that head scratching, chopping and changing of judges and tweaks to the format and I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. Obviously the show can't stand up for itself without Harry Hill as a lead in.

Can't tell if serious…

There is an interesting point in there - although X-factor's downfall is almost entirely its own, ITV never really adequately replaced TV Burp as a lead in on Saturday. The first series of X-factor post TV Burp had Take Me Out moved to the autumn and didn’t really do either series any favours. I think since then there have been a couple of forgettable gameshow attempts before settling for celeb versions of The Chase/Tipping Point which are steady but have never rated as well as Pointless Celebrities seems to - as that now regularly gets as good, or better, ratings than X-factor in an earlier slot. I believe The Beast once tweeted that The Chase is one of the few shows on tv that tends to get lower ratings in a celeb version than its normal version.

This year, in a reflection of how far X-Factor has fallen, it seems ITV has almost completely given up on the lead in. Total Wipeout-alike “Cannonball” was moved after only two or three weeks into an earlier slot, replaced by Family/Celeb Chase and in recent weeks a repeat run of Ninja Warrior Series 2.
VM
VMPhil
X Factor was already past its peak by the time TV Burp ended though. And even then Harry was absolutely sick of the clip show format, hence the extended sketches and songs in the last few series.
AA
Amber Avenger
Doesn't "extended sketches and songs" describe every series of TV Burp...? Laughing

I'm not arguing TV Burp should have continued, more pointing out that ITV have never adequately replaced it.
VM
VMPhil
Doesn't "extended sketches and songs" describe every series of TV Burp...? Laughing

I'm not arguing TV Burp should have continued, more pointing out that ITV have never adequately replaced it.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I just took it as an opportunity to post about TV Burp again Smile

There were extended sketches early on in the show’s history such as the Pop Idol judges, but at the show’s height it was mostly about the TV show clips with a song at the end. Then we had the extended recurring segments like Wagbo, Knitted Character, SuBo and Heather etc. which led to show competitions like The K Factor and Where Has the Knitted Character Been This Week? And there was also a bit at one point where Wagbo turned up at various shopping centres across the country.

God it did get a bit in-jokey towards the end didn’t it?

Newer posts