TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
dvboy posted:
I feel sorry for whoever is sitting in Salford pressing the button to cover up sponsors logos on the bobsleigh on the BBC red button tonight.

Wow. Are they really going to the bother of doing that?

When Ski Sunday slides back in a week or so, they won't be blurring out the 'Audi' start/finish gate, the Milka banners on the gates, and the Rauch fruit juice adverts on the side of the Mens/Womens downhill course.
All of which are will be on screen longer and more noticable, than a bob wizzing past at 90mph with a couple of sponsors logos on it.
DV
dvboy
dvboy posted:
I feel sorry for whoever is sitting in Salford pressing the button to cover up sponsors logos on the bobsleigh on the BBC red button tonight.

When Ski Sunday slides back in a week or so, they won't be blurring out the 'Audi' start/finish gate, the Milka banners on the gates, and the Rauch fruit juice adverts on the side of the Mens/Womens downhill course.
All of which are will be on screen longer and more noticable, than a bob wizzing past at 90mph with a couple of sponsors logos on it.

Just the on screen graphics, obviously not those physically there.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Terrible news Simon Thomas's wife has died

| see here …….. | SIMONTHOMASSKY on TWITTER.COM | 25-Nov-2017 @ 11:35 |
RD
rdd Founding member
On the occasion of RTE’s last (for now) rugby union men’s international, Ireland v Argentina, the Irish Times publishes a retrospective:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-on-rté-it-was-like-herding-cats-like-dealing-with-children-1.3304527?mode=amp

The rights for Ireland’s 2018 and beyond Autumn series have yet to be awarded.
RO
robertclark125
I assume the rights holders for the UK have yet to be announced either?
RD
rdd Founding member
That’s my understanding.

The previous rights announcement was for 2014-17:

http://www.irishrugby.ie/5499.php#.WhnHXmKnyEc
HC
Hatton Cross
dvboy posted:
dvboy posted:

Just the on screen graphics, obviously not those physically there.

I watched a bit of the Skeleton via the RB last night - I now see what you mean.

All the BBC Sport logo is doing is covering up the 'Omega' timing logo at the split section times.
Be interesting to see if they do the same with the Longines logo on the downhill skiing events during Ski Sunday. During the slalom events, that'll be on screen as freqently as the Omega logo is during a Bob/Skeleton run.

Also, if they still had F1 - I wonder if they would on the non-live races go to the bother of covering up the repeated Rolex green boxes? One of those is on screen somewhere for at least three quarters of the actual race.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Interesting change of policy, they've always allowed that kind of thing in the past, officially considering it acknowledgement of the data source.

I remember the cricket graphics used to have a particularly unsubtle "Honeywell Bull Computer" credit.
HC
Hatton Cross
And snooker used to have the Elonex computers logo at the start of every frame.

It's an odd policy change if it is. The world Athletics this year saw repeated Seiko logos, and of course the most obvious one is Match Of The Day which has 'Tag Heuer' logo by the score bar flash up at the start of every half, although that is probably contractual as an official broadcaster of the Premier League.
BR
Brekkie
Very odd if that's all it is - the Omega and other timing/data logos has been flashing up on BBC coverage as long as I can remember, and as you say they now have the Tag Heuer logo on MOTD despite their being no real timing in the highlights.

It does look really annoying too - I suspect most viewers are so used to timing logos they don't really notice them anyway.
BK
bkman1990
It has been confirmed today that the F1 World Championship will be rebranded with a new graphics package from next season according to Sean Bratches; the MD of commercial operations at F1. He was speaking to David Coulthard & Mark Webber in an interview with Channel 4's F1 coverage.

The interview on Channel 4 also showed the new Formula 1 logo from next season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/11/A_new_era_awaits_-_2018_F1_logo_reveal.html

What do you guys think of it? I am very mixed about the logo myself because the old logo did have a very nice design. The old logo has had a lasting impact of approaching 31 years. It is a huge change to the sport's own identity as one of the world's most leading motorsport brands. The new logo has already been causing division among the fans of the sport. I suppose from the FOM perspective; this rebrand of F1 will be for a new era of fans that will try to love the sport passed down from their parents or friends etc.

It is encouraging that numbers in both & digital audiences have seen large increases in the lead up to this new F1 brand. It also means that the Sky Sports F1 logo will have to updated within a short period of time to include the new logo. Other broadcasters may do the same if it was needed. Another discussion is how the new graphics will be displayed on live TV & online broadcasts of the practice, qualifying & race days.

How long do you think this logo will last in the sport? 10 years...... 20 years........maybe more?
Last edited by bkman1990 on 26 November 2017 5:39pm
:-(
A former member
Its crap, It doesn't even look like an "F"
Charlesy and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts