TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2015)

Expectations (July 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JC
JCB
Quote:
WELL Nanu Nanu anyone?

Gallifrey and Ork share a very similar fashion sense. Everyone knows that!.

It's....different but I like it. It's refreshing to see a bit of colour for a change.
LS
Lou Scannon
If her costume had included e.g. a skirt/dress, tights, high heels etc, I was looking forward to a male successor having to wear such items in his initial post-regeneration scenes!
BW
BroadcastWales

Interesting new Police Box Prop. They seem to be trying to make it similar to the 1980s prop. I don't know if I like it.
BW
BroadcastWales
This article nicely points out all the changes they've made to the Tardis Exterior:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-11-09/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-tardis/
DE88 and Lou Scannon gave kudos

15 days later

:-(
A former member
Well this is turn up:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/doctor-who-tom-baker-unfinished-classic-episode-shada-1202622524

Quote:
“Doctor Who” fans will finally be able to enjoy a newly completed classic episode of the sci-fi show after producers and former series star Tom Baker filled in the blanks of an unfinished 1979 installment titled “Shada.”

The episode had remained incomplete for decades after an engineering strike disrupted filming. BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the pubcaster, has now stepped in and completed the episode with an animated segment and a new scene starring Baker, the fourth Doctor.

The new scenes were shot at BBC Television Center in London on the set of the original Tardis. It shows the Doctor, clad in his famously long coat and stripy scarf, emerging from under the time-traveling machine’s console.

Baker briefly reprised his role as the Doctor in a segment of a charity special, but this is the first time he will have appeared in new footage in a regular episode of the classic series since his 1974-81 run as the time lord.

“When I was doing ‘Doctor Who’ it was the realization of all my childhood fantasies…so I took to it like a duck to water and I still do,” Baker said. “‘Doctor Who’ was more important than life to me – I used to dread the end of rehearsal….That’s why I can’t stay away from it.”

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” author Douglas Adams wrote “Shada,” in which the Doctor and his companion, Romana, battle an alien called Skagra in the picturesque English university town of Cambridge. The Shada of the title is a high-security prison planet. The episode has been adapted as a radio play and is the subject of much chatter among “Doctor Who” fans.

“’Shada’ was one of my favorite ‘Doctor Who’ stories. I have many fond memories of shooting the location scenes in Cambridge, and it was disappointing not to finish the story in studio. I’m so glad that BBC Worldwide [has] found a way to bring fans a complete visual version,” Baker said.

Charles Norton, who was behind the animation of lost “Doctor Who” episode “The Power of the Daleks,” produced the restored “Shada.” A new soundtrack including music and sound effects has been composed by Mark Ayers, using the original equipment of the 1970s. The new episode will not go out on “Doctor Who” broadcaster BBC One but has been packaged as a digital download and DVD special by BBC Worldwide

DA
davidhorman
Quote:
Well this is turn up:

This might finally be the definitive version of Shada.

One scene got reused in The Five Doctors as Tom Baker didn't want to reprise the role so soon, then he later did linking narrations in character for a VHS release in the 80s. Superfan Ian Levine made his own animated version, there was a semi-animated webcast starring Paul McGann (doing a timey-wimey switcheroo), and writer Douglas Adams re-used the character of Professor Chronotis, and his time machine, in one of his books (which also re-used ideas from City of Death ).

I wonder if they were able to rescan the film elements in HD?
MS
Mr-Stabby
I wonder if they were able to rescan the film elements in HD?

It certainly looks like they have. Knowing the team behind these releases, and that is being released on Bluray, i doubt they'd have ignored the opportunity for some Classic Tom Baker in HD Smile
JO
Joe
'Baker appears in new, live-action footage of the Doctor as an old man. The producers used 1970s TV cameras and the original Tardis set and K9 robot dog model to make it look part of the original lost episode.'

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/nov/24/tom-baker-returns-to-doctor-who-to-finish-lost-1979-episode-shada
JA
JAS84
Sounds like the aging thing wasn't in the original script, but it wouldn't be the only time it happened to Tom's Doctor.
:-(
A former member
This sounds like a way to give Peter and Colin a chance Wink
DA
davidhorman
This sounds like a way to give Peter and Colin a chance Wink

I think they're in Tom's attic so he can feed off their life essence, because he looks younger now than he did in The Day of the Doctor.

13 days later

DJ
DJGM

If her costume had included e.g. a skirt/dress, tights, high heels etc, I was looking forward
to a male successor having to wear such items in his initial post-regeneration scenes!

That's assuming the eventual 13-14 regeneration doesn't result in another female incarnation of The Doctor, which depends on how well received Jodie Whittaker turns out to be after a few episodes, before TPTB decide to make The Doctor male again straightaway.

Meanwhile, a new trailer has been released, which briefly features the regeneration. I think we have probably all seen it on TV by now.

Newer posts