The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
mdtauk
Is that video about the 2005 move online anywhere?

I tried looking, and was lucky to find a still I captured back at the time
EE
EastEngland
Going by the caps alone, I think it's important that while Kay herself is excellent at the softer segments on her show, having a soft area does add something to it, which has been lost while in the glass box.

Indeed - for me the biggest problem with the glass box was everything felt so formal, when guests were being interviewed on Kay's show it was more like a job interview than a more relaxed chat. It was very noticeable today that the whole thing felt more at ease and softer.

Quote:
Press Preview is harder to readjust to the sofas, but I'd like to hope the new studio has a soft area for 3-6.30 and PP.

The Press preview suffers in the old studio a bit because it's not exactly the same as it was before the move to the glass box which takes time to adjust as it's a mix of the old studio, with the restrictions the election refurbishment imposed on cameras and needing the guests and presenters to swap sides whilst using the same white graphics that were used in the glass box.

This looks more coherent (before glass box, before election refurb)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Nx9HAEGFQ
EE
EastEngland
News @ 10 opening better tonight, not perfect but better than the Saturday and Sunday editions. Used a better photo of Big Ben clock on the big screen taking up the whole screen and Anna is more behind the desk than Tom was.
Last edited by EastEngland on 20 November 2017 10:44pm - 2 times in total
EE
EastEngland
The lighting is awful for the Press Preview tonight, it seems they've turned the studio lighting down but the net result is that the screen is now too bright, not helped by the white graphics to the point where it's annoying on the eye.

If you compare it to the lighting from before the move to the glass box and even Saturday, it's far worse tonight, why does it have to be so bright?

New
http://i63.tinypic.com/jf9q9k.jpg

Saturday

Old
http://i63.tinypic.com/2qdyljc.jpg
Last edited by EastEngland on 20 November 2017 10:58pm - 3 times in total
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Are your remote batteries dead?
EE
EastEngland
Are your remote batteries dead?

It's a presentation forum, simply illustrating the differences on the PP tonight since there was previous debate about the PP set so I thought instead of just typing words I'd illustrate it with captures of the difference.
EE
EastEngland
Some asked about the Balcony and the newsroom, here's the best you're likely to get from the main channel.

http://i65.tinypic.com/901qmd.jpg

However the actual balcony is being used for social media items

http://i64.tinypic.com/4zsz2a.jpg
bkman1990, skyviewer and watchingtv gave kudos
EE
EastEngland
Lighting much better tonight on the PP.
MA
Mattybur
Hello. Newbie here and not a technical TV person but I was wondering why the presenter and guests have indeed swapped sides on the press preview?

Also, I get that they're using the old set while the glass box is being upgraded, but why use exactly the same sofas and table etc, and not at least update it all a bit?

Things like this fascinate me sometimes!

Going by the caps alone, I think it's important that while Kay herself is excellent at the softer segments on her show, having a soft area does add something to it, which has been lost while in the glass box.

Indeed - for me the biggest problem with the glass box was everything felt so formal, when guests were being interviewed on Kay's show it was more like a job interview than a more relaxed chat. It was very noticeable today that the whole thing felt more at ease and softer.

Quote:
Press Preview is harder to readjust to the sofas, but I'd like to hope the new studio has a soft area for 3-6.30 and PP.

The Press preview suffers in the old studio a bit because it's not exactly the same as it was before the move to the glass box which takes time to adjust as it's a mix of the old studio, with the restrictions the election refurbishment imposed on cameras and needing the guests and presenters to swap sides whilst using the same white graphics that were used in the glass box.

This looks more coherent (before glass box, before election refurb)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Nx9HAEGFQ
LL
London Lite Founding member

Also, I get that they're using the old set while the glass box is being upgraded, but why use exactly the same sofas and table etc, and not at least update it all a bit?

For what should be a two month temporary placement, it's not worth it.
MA
Mattybur
Ah OK, yes. They could've popped down to IKEA though...

But how about the swapped positions of the presenters and guests?

Poster above alluded to restrictions of the cameras from the election, but what does this mean and why would they have to swap sides on the sofas?
EE
EastEngland
But how about the swapped positions of the presenters and guests?

Poster above alluded to restrictions of the cameras from the election, but what does this mean and why would they have to swap sides on the sofas?

I'm not saying it's certainly the case, but just basing it on the photos I've seen of the studio. Basically the studio was remodeled for the election and a lot of stuff was changed which reduced the flexibility of said studio.

I've seen shots of the studio layout and the background behind the presenter is more busy than the one that is behind the guests (I think there might be producers and staff behind her) and I think a wide shot of both the guests in the old position may well be more distracting because of this, Since behind the presenter is rarely shown, it's best to put the guests in front of the nicer back-drop.

May also be logistical reasons for it in relation to positioning of things like the autocue.
Last edited by EastEngland on 22 November 2017 12:39am - 2 times in total

Newer posts