TV Home Forum

This Morning Breakdown

Split from ITV Programming Thread (November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
It's the BBC's attention that I found surprising. Sesspits like the Metro and Mail Online lose their s**t if somebody so much blinks on ITV before 1:30.

As I type, it's the third most read story on the BBC News UK site.

It was no.1 for a while earlier today. Must have been a slow news day, I don't think it deserved such prominence.

No doubt the Daily Express went full on outrage on it. Very Happy
JO
Jon
I doubt ten years ago this would get a mention anywhere outside the programme.
MM
MMcG198
Would UTV have been left in silence in the pre-ITV owned days?

Yes - to the best of my knowledge. They had no live announcer during daytime, for quite a number of years prior to October 2016. If the problem lasted long enough, they could've brought someone up from the newsroom to do a live announcement. On the odd occasion where there was a compliance announcement for a daytime programme, they would've brought someone in from another dept to do a live announcement. I even heard Frank Mitchell do a compliance announcement in 2015/6.

During breakdowns, UTV just played a loop of the glass UTV logo, in silence - based on a couple of examples that I have in my archive.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I guess it's what counts as journalism these days. Sat in the office, monitoring output as it goes out on TV or on social media in the hope of creating a low cost quick turnaround click bait article. The Daily Express must have a whole team dedicated to watching The Chase.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's the BBC's attention that I found surprising. Sesspits like the Metro and Mail Online lose their s**t if somebody so much blinks on ITV before 1:30.

The entertainment section is quite different from the rest, if it isn't a blatant BBC press release its a '5 reasons why...' trashy clickbait style article. That's before you factor in the Newsbeat stories that you get in that section.
RD
RDJ
What we missed....

Night Thoughts, DanielK and Si-Co gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
Daily Express

This Morning viewers in UPROAR as massive technical failure causes ITV show to crash

THIS MORNING viewers were left fuming after the show went off air in the middle of the live broadcast this morning.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/881867/This-Morning-viewers-uproar-technical-failure-ITV-show-crashes-broadcast-broken-blunder
RD
RDJ
Strangely there appears to be no YouTube caps of it.

Even more strangely... BBC News has us covered once again... they've recently uploaded a video of the breakdown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-42060114/this-morning-holly-and-phil-off-air-for-12-minutes
TI
TIGHazard
RDJ posted:
Strangely there appears to be no YouTube caps of it.

Even more strangely... BBC News has us covered once again... they've recently uploaded a video of the breakdown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-42060114/this-morning-holly-and-phil-off-air-for-12-minutes

I thought the BBC was constantly recording off-air footage of the other main channels in case of news footage/sport? Something to do with the footage has to branded as it was on the original broadcast (i.e. football highlights on the news featuring the Sky Sports DOG and scorebar, when MOTD may have been recording the match as well).
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
I think a lot of broadcasters constantly record other channels for monitoring purposes. I used to work in the media monitoring department of market research firm Kantar and we constantly recorded a number of TV and radio channels so we could send recordings to clients who may have featured or been mentioned in programmes. These recordings were stored on multiple servers but we were only allowed to keep the recordings for one month before they were deleted.
JO
Jon
All that has happened here is some people reading Twitter. Don’t over complicate it.
DB
dbl
UTV viewers sat complete silence the whole time as we don’t have live continuity measures, not even some music!

Which is appalling really.

Indeed, really poor. Not even some standby recorded annos?! Smaller channels have these as the basics.
Last edited by dbl on 21 November 2017 6:52am

Newer posts