The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark

However I wouldn't be surprised if there was just a separate coding and mux chain for Channel Islands PSB3 that excludes ITV HD - just as there are special versions for ITV HD regions.

Yes, but that wouldn't be cost effective, evident by the fact some ITV HD regions (all of which significantly larger than CTV's) also are not available on DTT (but are on D-Sat)

I don't think you can equate what happens elsewhere within ITV plc and what happens on the Channel Islands...

Removal of ITV - or lack of provision of ITV - isn't ITV's issue is it? It's presumably the BBC/ATOS/Arqiva's? ITV are presumably not paying the BBC for carriage on PSB3 on the Channel Islands, so the BBC/Arqiva/ATOS must presumably create an ITV-free variant, as a result?

Well, I'm not sure, as CTV are now fully owned (?) by ITV PLC what's to stop one of the other ITV HD regions being provided there ? The same question applies to ITV+1 on PSB 2, whose place is taken by ITV 3 on that
mux.
DA
davidhorman

Well, I'm not sure, as CTV are now fully owned (?) by ITV PLC what's to stop one of the other ITV HD regions being provided there ?

Channel's desire not to lose viewers/local advertising revenue to ITV HD? Presumably the same reason you can't get ITV HD on 111 if you put a Jersey postcode in your STB.
MA
Markymark

Well, I'm not sure, as CTV are now fully owned (?) by ITV PLC what's to stop one of the other ITV HD regions being provided there ?

Channel's desire not to lose viewers/local advertising revenue to ITV HD? Presumably the same reason you can't get ITV HD on 111 if you put a Jersey postcode in your STB.

Yes, but Channel is ITV now ? By that logic, why is ITV Central HD available in Devon and Cornwall, is that not
losing local ad revenue too ?
DE
derek500

Yes, but Channel is ITV now ? By that logic, why is ITV Central HD available in Devon and Cornwall, is that not

ITV South West has its own HD variations now (or is that just on Satellite?)
DA
davidhorman
How much truly local advertising is there on the rest of the ITV regions? I would have thought it's not nearly as much as on Channel.
MA
Markymark

ITV South West has its own HD variations now (or is that just on Satellite?)

I was in the South West region last week, ITV HD was the Central version on DTT, so I think the South West HD version is only available on D-Sat still

How much truly local advertising is there on the rest of the ITV regions? I would have thought it's not nearly as much as on Channel.

Probably not, but the sum total value of that revenue is probably about the same, if not slightly more ?
ST
Stuart
I was in the South West region last week, ITV HD was the Central version on DTT, so I think the South West HD version is only available on D-Sat still

Yes, I think the two South West versions of ITV HD are only available on DSat. I don't think they're even on DCab, that also probably shows ITV HD Central West.
DA
davidhorman

Probably not, but the sum total value of that revenue is probably about the same, if not slightly more ?

My point is that advertising in the Channel Islands would be effectively worthless to the likes of Morrisons, Asda, Lidl... Given the option, they're not going to pay any extra for those 100,000 viewers because it won't get them anything. ITV would sell every bit of that airtime to local advertisers if they could, and to get a decent rate for it they need as many people watching ITV Channel Islands as possible.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
My point is that advertising in the Channel Islands would be effectively worthless to the likes of Morrisons, Asda, Lidl...

They couldn't compete with Major Benest's superlatives.

(Although there are now Asda George stores on Jersey and Guernsey)
DA
davidhorman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ekujLk3xS8

"Benests of Millbrook, and Fineprice" is imprinted in my brain.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I assume you've seen this?

Which again probably says something about the differences between Channel and the rest of ITV that they were able to make that in this day and age.
MA
Markymark

Which again probably says something about the differences between Channel and the rest of ITV that they were able to make that in this day and age.

Brilliant stuff !! That's how local telly should be, can you imagine any of the present crop of local TV stations doing anything like that for local ads (or programmes !), in fact has anybody seen any local ads on the local stations yet ?

Newer posts