TV Home Forum

BBC1 Christmas 2017 Idents

Please - Don't (one)mess up the Christmas idents this year (November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
DE88
BBC Two needs its own Christmas idents this year too. Please God they do not do the same as in previous years.

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/cf5f8515-37ef-464f-abe5-a4c82a6c97b8/546b3b88-ab98-476d-9102-e7b270485cfa_560_420.jpg
Embarassed Wink
London Lite and Lou Scannon gave kudos
PF
PFML84
We all know BBC TWO will be using the same Christmas idents it has for the past few years. It will probably take until ONE and TWO get full proper rebrands before they'll give us new Christmas idents.
DE
DE88
We all know BBC TWO will be using the same Christmas idents it has for the past few years. It will probably take until ONE and TWO get full proper rebrands before they'll give us new Christmas idents.

After "Two twooo two-two-two-two-two twooo, two twooo two-two-two-two-two twooo..." and that disco version of "Ding Dong Merrily on High", I wonder what the musical accompaniments this year will be? Wink
:-(
A former member
Who is in charge of bbc branding?
AR
Argybargy
DE88 posted:

After "Two twooo two-two-two-two-two twooo, two twooo two-two-two-two-two twooo..." and that disco version of "Ding Dong Merrily on High", I wonder what the musical accompaniments this year will be? Wink

I shudder to think. The whole concept is just naff in the extreme.

It's astounding when you realise that the last time BBC Two aired a completely new Christmas ident was 2011- SIX YEARS AGO!!
VM
VMPhil
I do enjoy them showing the old Christmas idents though like in the last few years. NI went even further back last year with some fantastic widescreen conversions of 4:3 idents. https://theident.gallery/bbc2-2016-xmas.php
AR
Argybargy
I do enjoy them showing the old Christmas idents though like in the last few years. NI went even further back last year. https://theident.gallery/bbc2-2016-xmas.php

I've also quite enjoyed the recycling of BBC Two's classic festive idents over the years, especially NI's efforts which have been far better than those of Network.

I'd just prefer something fresh and different this year. A new Christmas ident for BBC Two is LONG overdue.

And if they must recycle the old idents again, please could they restore the ORGINAL soundtracks. Enough of the substandard replacement ones- they are tacky and unnecessary.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I sometimes wonder if the b**tardise the old ones to annoy the likes of us. I remember when the yellow 2s took their final bow and some pres fans apparently got tetchy when the CA innocuously said the following montage was "if you're into that sort of thing".
ToasterMan and Argybargy gave kudos
DE
DE88
It's astounding when you realise that the last time BBC Two aired a completely new Christmas ident was 2011- SIX YEARS AGO!!

And the last time before that was 2007.

In very basic terms, just *two* new Christmas idents in the last *decade*...
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I'm assuming the BBC press releases for Christmas scheduling should be out in the next week, which usually give at least a hint to the festive idents.

On a programming note after last year's Peter Pan Goes Wrong it looks like this year there's a Christmas Carol Goes Wrong. The BBC Shows website also confirms that Top of the Pops will return for Xmas & New Year specials, rather than being replaced with 'Sounds Like' branding.
BR
Brekkie
On a programming note after last year's Peter Pan Goes Wrong it looks like this year there's a Christmas Carol Goes Wrong.

Great news, and that seems to be made for TV rather than adaptation of a stage show. It was thrown out in a rather poor slot last year though so didn't set the ratings alight - will be interesting to see where it goes this year.

The BBC have a three hour gap to fill in the schedules thanks to the pulling of the Agatha Christie drama. Even a decade ago they'd have had plenty of shows from off-peak they could probably juggle around to fill the gap, but sadly that's not the case anymore though I guess putting a film into a flagship slot solves two of the three hours, so they'd probably get away with it.

As for idents - they have tended to launch midweek in recent years so I'd place my bets on Tuesday 5th December. Strictly final day on the 16th would be a more sensible date of course (and still seemingly quite early!) but little chance it'll be that late.
BE
Bert75
The BBC xmas idents will probably be people live action idents with oneness I personally would be very disappointed if that the case

Newer posts