Mass Media & Technology

Interesting and unusual uses of teletext

(November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
How is Presfax delivered to the regions and countries? Is it something like Teletext where the user could control it or is just a static screen sent as a video feed to each region?

It's like teletext, sent alongside the vision. To do it as a video feed would take too much bandwidth, There is a feed of the network talkback sent up to the regions too so that is used as well

What vision signal was it being sent with?

Within the VBI of the main NC1 national sustaining feed presumably ?
NG
noggin Founding member
It's like teletext, sent alongside the vision. To do it as a video feed would take too much bandwidth, There is a feed of the network talkback sent up to the regions too so that is used as well

What vision signal was it being sent with?

Within the VBI of the main NC1 national sustaining feed presumably ?

NC1 for BBC One and NC2 for BBC Two (in the days when there were regional opts on BBC Two). ISTR that you had to ask for an engineer to switch feeds to get the right network's PresFax displayed in the presentation galleries in English regional centres...
VM
VMPhil

DA
davidhorman
But what is the "IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT TELETEXT" on P100?
MA
Markymark
But what is the "IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT TELETEXT" on P100?

You’d better write to your MP and ask them to select P100 to find out !
thegeek and bilky asko gave kudos
MM
MMcG198
I'd have loved that when I was at school.

Our BBC Micro network had a teletext receiver and you could view and print pages from it. I think it could download data from it, but I was there too late for Telesoftware. We had software to create pages but I don't think we could do anything with them except print.

Amazing back then in the late 80s that we had email and could send messages between computers, all on BBC Micro computers. So ahead of their time

It was a very nice little application. Produced by Colin Rowling Software. Don't know how many education boards used it. I used to have tonnes of teletext pages on 5 1/4 floppy discs. I stupidly dumped them all years ago, along with my BBC Micro. It was still in mint condition after 10 years. Madness. I still have my Archimedes 3010 though.

Based on the excerpt of the front page in the manual, here's what Mikefax's menu page may have looked like, in colour:

http://thetvroom.com/tvf/Mikefax-001.png
JA
JAS84

Is that level 2 text? It has an anti-aliased font and what looks like gradients.
EL
elmarko
Gradient is the light on the monitor, font will be the boxes own way of doing it. I've had TVs that had a less blocky font before
DA
davidhorman
You’d better write to your MP and ask them to select P100 to find out !

I haven't got one Sad
IS
Inspector Sands
Talking of teletext. 10 points to whoever can tell me what programme these pages were made for:

FO
FanOfTV99
Talking of teletext. 10 points to whoever can tell me what programme these pages were made for:

Naked Video or Naked Jungle
MM
MMcG198

BBC Scotland's 'Naked Video' used to do this type of thing. Can't recall if these are definitely taken from that programme.

Newer posts