TV Home Forum

CBBC revive Saturday morning magazine show format

The return of Saturday morning telly - well almost (May 2017)

FO
FanOfTV99 Granada North West Today
JoshX posted:
dbl posted:
I wonder if they did something for the 2 minutes silence or did they show poppies like they did before

They ended the programme slightly earlier, went into some pre-recorded CBBC HQ continuity pushing what's coming up later in the week and then another pre-rec link from Kate introducing and explaining the film 'Poppies'.

CBeebies had presenter Ben saying "remembering [pause] together", with no explanation whatsoever about the film, unlike CBBC.

I found the announcement for thay day

Tbh he did a good job of explaining it.

Stay Safe.

You'll Never Walk Alone
satellitebadger and Newsroom24 gave kudos

34 days later

:-(
A former member
So today is the last day of the run, How does everyone else think it's gone? I think it's gotten better each week, but some more work is needed. Will it be coming back in the Spring or will it be next Autumn?
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
It's worthy of a second run IMO but it definitely needs work.

The hosts are capable but it's like they've just graduated from presenting school, there's nothing particularly special about them. Except, of course, Johnny's ability to inject energy into the show by merely shouting.

The audience needs to be off screen. If they're not looking bored, they're busy pulling faces in the background, and if they're not doing that, they're mysteriously looking down at the floor whenever Hacker turns up.

The features could do with a shake up too, I think. Push Off and How Many Things are decent games but they get tiresome week after week.

And it's probably my fault because I'm not 12, but I'd love to see the YouTube celebrity guests shunned. DanTDM is very popular so I can understand that, but I recall at least one of them only had about 40k subscribers. It's not that many when you consider the most popular channels have tens of millions. But again, I'm sure younger people appreciate it, and it's a show for them after all.

I'd be really interested to see if ITV consider a move if this carries on and the SMTV revival goes well.
FO
FanOfTV99 Granada North West Today
It's worthy of a second run IMO but it definitely needs work.

The hosts are capable but it's like they've just graduated from presenting school, there's nothing particularly special about them. Except, of course, Johnny's ability to inject energy into the show by merely shouting.

The audience needs to be off screen. If they're not looking bored, they're busy pulling faces in the background, and if they're not doing that, they're mysteriously looking down at the floor whenever Hacker turns up.

The features could do with a shake up too, I think. Push Off and How Many Things are decent games but they get tiresome week after week.

And it's probably my fault because I'm not 12, but I'd love to see the YouTube celebrity guests shunned. DanTDM is very popular so I can understand that, but I recall at least one of them only had about 40k subscribers. It's not that many when you consider the most popular channels have tens of millions. But again, I'm sure younger people appreciate it, and it's a show for them after all.

I'd be really interested to see if ITV consider a move if this carries on and the SMTV revival goes well.

They also need to move the show to BBC One. Maybe put saturday kitchen on bbc two.
Stay Safe.

You'll Never Walk Alone
MR
mr_vivian UTV Newsline
Live and Kicking, SM:TV and T4 all gone now.

Glad I grew up when this TV was at its peak.
DB
dbl London London

They also need to move the show to BBC One. Maybe put saturday kitchen on bbc two.

17 years ago, yes. Now? No. BBC Two is as good as it gets.
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
dbl posted:

17 years ago, yes. Now? No. BBC Two is as good as it gets.

Mash Up was already removed twice from BBC Two this series because Saturday Kitchen had to move to accommodate other events. Infact, wasn't that the entire reason why Dick & Dom moved over to Two back in 2006?

(Speaking of which, has anyone got a clip of the fire alarm breakdown from 2004?)
GO
gordonthegopher UTV Newsline
So today is the last day of the run, How does everyone else think it's gone? I think it's gotten better each week, but some more work is needed. Will it be coming back in the Spring or will it be next Autumn?

Yes, I think it definitely worth another run.

Yasmin and Jonny have got better week after week with how the show works and they now are more comfortable with the format. Jonny does shout a lot but he is good at keeping the energy of the show going and is turning into a very good presenter.

Hacker is just brilliant (nothing more to say)!

I would like the 'gunge game' to have some kind of quiz element to it and maybe both guests could be in gunge tanks and only the loser of the quiz/game/vote to get gunged or get gunged every time a wrong answer takes place.

Push Off I think was really good but for a new series you need a new game.

How many things in a thing probably needs replaced as well or changed slightly, but if it was to stay please give the winner a half decent prize. Kiss from Hacker is not enough!

The set looks very well and I like how the crew are now getting involved with shouting out things and cameramen/women getting involved. Using the Gallery and sound areas for links is good as well really gives it the LIVE feeling!

I have to give Saturday Mash-Up 8 out of 10!

Well done all!
Last edited by gordonthegopher on 16 December 2017 3:40pm
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
Despite not being in the CBBC demographic I have enjoyed watching this each week and found it a much better way to wake up after a Saturday lie in than cookery shows or mystery dramas. It has also given me the opportunity of discovering the new version of Danger Mouse, a very good series with great story writing. Anyway, Saturday Mash Up has morphed into a wonderful programme over the weeks, little tweaks and in jokes have helped it to move along. It's a shame that it hasn't been given a longer run, it's one of those programmes that needs time to develop and for people to become aware of it. Both Jonny & Yasmin have been good presenters and up for anything which helps on this type of show. When announced I wasn't sure on Hacker being included, but he has worked brilliantly adding a lot of humour into the programme.

Congratulations to the production team for putting this series together, especially when most of them have only been used to doing CBBC Continuity, I suppose it's ultimately continuity on a bigger scale.
BeanosOnToast, DE88 and gordonthegopher gave kudos
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
I caught the tail end of it today and it seemed very energetic - there was a nice bit where Yasmin briefly lost her train of thought, finished the link and Hacker looked to the side and just said “seamless!”. Funny little bits like that just give it that ‘yeah we know, it’s live’. Don’t know if it was a regular thing but they had a bit behind the scenes a few weeks ago going from the green room down to the studio. It’s those sneak peeks from Going Live and L&K that got me interested in all this back in the day!

The only slight oddness was off the back of a cartoon they shrunk the credits and seemed to be about to go into the interviews but then the credits went full screen followed by a Mash Up sting. Just seemed to slow the pace down, why not just fade out the DVE and carry on? Maybe L&K used to do it and I’ve just forgotten.
BU
buster London London
The presenters definitely seemed a little out of their depth at times - although let’s not forget how this genre of live tv has almost entirely disappeared in recent years so they’re starting from scratch. I agree the celebs are a bit rubbish but there will be a limit on who they can drag to Salford for an overnight in return for 100,000 viewers.
Agree Hacker has been very good although someone should tell Phil Gluvets the dinosaur sounds exactly the same. I thought the Swap Shop era photo of Keith Chegwin in the kennel on the last show was a lovely hat tip to one of the pioneers of the format though.
The gunging at the end of the show does feel a bit without purpose, and standing around them with buckets is a bit low rent.
Otherwise a great start and lots of room to grow - I really hope they’re given more than 12 weeks in future though, it’s not a long enough run!
BO
bobbybop West Country (West) Spotlight
I think the show is good but not great. The one thing that I would change would be more participation from the audience. The best saturday morning tv shows from the past had the audience getting involved, you could take the audience out of mash up and it would be exactly the same. Have the audience play games against each other or the celebrity guests then in my eyes it would be great

Newer posts