TV Home Forum

BBC1 Christmas 2017 Idents

Please - Don't (one)mess up the Christmas idents this year (November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DP
D.Page
Getting close to that time again.

Wonder what we'll get this year. Temporarily back to the Circles concept I hope. Obviously a fair chance it may be yet more Onemess, but with a Christmas theme ...FFS, I hope not!
OR
orange
‘We know you all loved the showtime graphics so we’ve combined them with oneness for this Christmas!’
:-(
A former member
I think your a bit early, it's still at least 21 days away of course the way things have been going the xmas pres could appear in november,
Here is last years. https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/bbc-one-2016-christmas-presentation-42241/
AR
Argybargy
It's a bit hopeful that the Circles will return for the Christmas idents. Thinking back, the festive idents of 2012, 2013 and 2015 had no actual circle theme anyway.
DP
D.Page
...the festive idents of 2012, 2013 and 2015 had no actual circle theme anyway.

When I say Circles design, I meant the centralized logo and animated swirl forming up in centre of the screen, which were present in all the years you cited.
DP
D.Page
I think your a bit early, it's still at least 21 days away...

Yes, it's early but the time for talking has arrived. For me anyway.
JK
JKDerry
Last years idents were just alright. Nothing special. Better than the boring "wrapping paper" ident from 2013. It must be hard for BBC One, trying to come up with something new each year. This is probably the main reason why BBC Two, ITV and Channel just recycle their idents. I wonder if ITV will continue with their 2013 batch?
FA
fanoftv
I'm hoping that itv will change and do a unique style as they did in 2012.

As for BBC One, I think I preferred the wrapping paper idents to last years. I think it's the music that makes them for me. Wrapping paper's music was very festive, the curtain was not. 2014 was the last great Christmas pres imo, gorgeous visuals and audio.

Christmas is an odd time, a lot of it hangs on tradition (family traditions, event traditions,Christmas songs, even certain adverts, e.g. Coca Cola trucks), yet there is much more where viewers and consumers demand change. There would be uproar if John Lewis released the same advert two years in a row nowadays.
BR
Brekkie
Simple animation will almost always look far better than simple filmed idents. I quite liked the simplicity of the wrapping paper idents and even the Showtime ones.
JK
JKDerry

As for BBC One, I think I preferred the wrapping paper idents to last years. I think it's the music that makes them for me. Wrapping paper's music was very festive, the curtain was not. 2014 was the last great Christmas pres imo, gorgeous visuals and audio.

Christmas is an odd time, a lot of it hangs on tradition (family traditions, event traditions,Christmas songs, even certain adverts, e.g. Coca Cola trucks), yet there is much more where viewers and consumers demand change. There would be uproar if John Lewis released the same advert two years in a row nowadays.

Remember the backlash the BBC got when they did not provide a new Christmas ident in 2003 and just reused their 2002 package. I think they have learnt their lesson. Sadly BBC Two is a channel that is a hell of a mess, does not know what it is for, and thus their Christmas presentation is dreadful.

ITV and Channel 4 are just lazy. They are content of recycling their Christmas idents. ITV have always had poor track record of Christmas presentation. Their 2011 presentation was the worse, just the usual ITV1 idents with the Text Santa mascot sitting on the logo throwing Christmas lights on it etc. Google it and see how lazy it was, showing a summer ITV1 2011 ident with the Text Santa mascot on it.
DK
DanielK

Remember the backlash the BBC got when they did not provide a new Christmas ident in 2003 and just reused their 2002 package. I think they have learnt their lesson. Sadly BBC Two is a channel that is a hell of a mess, does not know what it is for, and thus their Christmas presentation is dreadful.

ITV and Channel 4 are just lazy. They are content of recycling their Christmas idents. ITV have always had poor track record of Christmas presentation. Their 2011 presentation was the worse, just the usual ITV1 idents with the Text Santa mascot sitting on the logo throwing Christmas lights on it etc. Google it and see how lazy it was, showing a summer ITV1 2011 ident with the Text Santa mascot on it.

ITV1 Christmas 2012 was amazing. It looked so good.
TO
tomo359

Regarding ITV, yes they had a few years of no christmas idents, but some of the christmas pres they did do was just beautiful,
2008 (and 2009) saw the return to christmas pres with a single but lovely ident and matching pres package

Then 2010 saw another new lovely package

2011 was unfortunately disappointing with the Text Santa characters just added onto the normal idents, but then 2012 saw another beautiful package

Since 2013 its such a shame we haven't had any beautiful pres packages as seen above, but hopefully one day (possibly this year but doubtful) we will get a lovely new christmas look for the channel.

(Credit for images to The Ident Gallery)

Newer posts