Mass Media & Technology

Interesting and unusual uses of teletext

(November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
Was that teletext - or just a BBC Micro in Mode 7? ( BBC Micros used the same SAA5050 chip to generate Mode 7- as most teletext decoders of that era)

Well, no, not teletext per se, but as good as.
RI
Riaz
Did any countries have teletext pages with content that was very different from the material available in Britain?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I can't find my source for this, but I believe that a simple caption was carried on a page part of the standard teletext magazines, and this was superimposed over programmes to inform viewers that the 405 line service from the particular transmitter was due to close shortly.
GE
thegeek Founding member

The BBC had a similar system, known as Presfax, which was used to send live schedule data to the nations and regions. It may even still be going...

(in London, there's also the SSD - or Schedule something Display - which is just a VGA output of a PC showing much the same data.

Presfax as a teletext style page is a fairly new thing, probably only 10 years or so. It was an odd black and white display before that

The SSDs go back to the first automated playout system, it's been replicated on its replacements and then got used as Presfax too. In TV Centre the SSDs were on the ringmaster and in the days if the NTA on screens in the corridor outside the playout suites

I think autocorrect has made an entertaining adjustment to 'ringmain' there...
EL
elmarko
What the f*** I went off and googled that for like 15 minutes and found nothing ugggh
SP
Spencer
The BBC had an internal teletext service called Telfax for a while, it was shown on screens in the lift lobbies of TV Centre
http://teletext.mb21.co.uk/gallery/ceefax/telfax100.gif

I have vague memories of a similar system at BBC Leeds when I worked there in the mid to late 90s. I think it might have been called Norfax, if I remember rightly, and I think it featured the canteen menu, and not a lot else.

I’m sure I came across it when flicking through the channels piped around the building to TV screens on the ringmain, having never seen it displayed anywhere before in the building.
NG
noggin Founding member
The BBC had an internal teletext service called Telfax for a while, it was shown on screens in the lift lobbies of TV Centre

I have vague memories of a similar system at BBC Leeds when I worked there in the mid to late 90s. I think it might have been called Norfax, if I remember rightly, and I think it featured the canteen menu, and not a lot else.

I’m sure I came across it when flicking through the channels piped around the building to TV screens on the ringmain, having never seen it displayed anywhere before in the building.

Was that teletext (i.e. did you have to press the text button on your TV to see it) or was it just an analogue ring main channel containing the output of a computer which showed various pages of information? If it was the latter - lots of English regions had those - so that people across the building could see the lines and studio bookings for that day, canteen information, social club stuff etc. It was a bit like ITV Nightscreen I guess - but not really teletext.
IS
Inspector Sands

I think autocorrect has made an entertaining adjustment to 'ringmain' there...

Call me 623058 Laughing
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Was that teletext (i.e. did you have to press the text button on your TV to see it) or was it just an analogue ring main channel containing the output of a computer which showed various pages of information? If it was the latter - lots of English regions had those - so that people across the building could see the lines and studio bookings for that day, canteen information, social club stuff etc. It was a bit like ITV Nightscreen I guess - but not really teletext.

There was also a thing that was semi-officially called Bennfax apparently, which was described by Richard Russell as a forerunner to Presfax. It showed the scenic design department's booking schedules, named after the manager who commissioned it.
DV
dvboy
I remember arriving at a hotel once and the TV had a teletext-based welcome message on the TV for me, so there's another use for it.
VM
VMPhil
dvboy posted:
I remember arriving at a hotel once and the TV had a teletext-based welcome message on the TV for me, so there's another use for it.

Oh yes! Express by Holiday Inn by any chance?
DA
davidhorman
Anyone else use Mikefax at school?

Newer posts