TV Home Forum

Dealing with the lack of regional news on BBC One HD

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FL
flaziola
Us Scottish folk have BBC One Scotland HD, so we don't really need to switch.

Cool

As do the viewers in Wales and Northern Ireland.
AE
AlexEdohHD13
Us Scottish folk have BBC One Scotland HD, so we don't really need to switch.

Cool

As do the viewers in Wales and Northern Ireland.

But you don't BBC Two HD for your nation, You have put up with National (England) BBC Two HD.
ST
Stuart
dbl posted:
I could have sworn ITV Westcountry E/West is HD, from when I last flicked around on Sky. Looked pin sharp to me, especially as both editions come from Bristol.

I assumed it was upscaled as the Sky EPG doesn't list the regional news as being in HD.

10 days later

:-(
A former member
I've been trying get pics of certain Afternoon live segments for a while, I've noticed something half the BBC local studios are HD

Which studio need to be spent on to convert them? IE a proper full list?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
It depends on the programme for me. I generally prefer ITV News anyway, but if I do watch BBC News I always watch it in HD and don't bother with North West Tonight as the SD picture is noticeably soft. If I want regional news, I usually listen to BBC Radio Merseyside or if I have to watch it on TV, I usually prefer Granada Reports as it is in HD.

At breakfast, I usually opt for GMB most days as I'm finding BBC Breakfast far too dull and samey each day. At least GMB feels a bit different every morning. If I come across a regional opt during Breakfast, I tend to just leave the holding slide on as I can't be bothered flicking about. If I do opt to change channel, I'd jump to GMB or Sky News during the BBC regional bulletin.

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but I'm just so used to watching TV in HD now that I really struggle with SD and find that it detracts from my attention/enjoyment of the output. I'm probably alone on this one!
BR
Brekkie
It depends on the programme for me. I generally prefer ITV News anyway, but if I do watch BBC News I always watch it in HD and don't bother with North West Tonight as the SD picture is noticeably soft. If I want regional news, I usually listen to BBC Radio Merseyside or if I have to watch it on TV, I usually prefer Granada Reports as it is in HD.

So basically rather than watch TV in SD you'd rather have it with no pictures at all.
DE
deejay
I've been trying get pics of certain Afternoon live segments for a while, I've noticed something half the BBC local studios are HD

Which studio need to be spent on to convert them? IE a proper full list?

The only national/regional studios which I think are fully HD are:
London (NBH Studio D)
Salford
Belfast
Glasgow
Plymouth (if their studio cameras were upgraded as part of the recent refresh and mosart installation)

Other studios may have some HD elements but aren’t fully HD from beginning to end (ie there are SD vision mixers, cameras etc).

Some regions have replaced their newsroom cameras with HD Green Screen studios. These are HD and are fed via Dirac encoders to enable HD pictures to use a normally SD circuit. Does that help?
IT
itsrobert Founding member

So basically rather than watch TV in SD you'd rather have it with no pictures at all.

No, that's not what I said at all. I tend to get local news on the radio when I'm in the car driving to and from work. When I have the opportunity to watch it on TV, I would choose an HD source like Granada Reports.
AE
AlexEdohHD13

No, that's not what I said at all. I tend to get local news on the radio when I'm in the car driving to and from work. When I have the opportunity to watch it on TV, I would choose an HD source like Granada Reports.

Me too.
ST
Stuart
In the morning I watch BBC One in SD, so I can get the regional opt. I'm generally listening to it, not watching it, so it could be in 405-line B&W for all it matters to me.
BK
bkman1990
No. You're not alone itsrobert. IMO if I'm in a position to watch live regional news from the UK; it will be in HD for me as well.

The majority of the time it will be ITV News London in HD either before or after the ITV lunchtime & evening news or the nightly slot after ITV News at Ten. I have access to UTV HD for UTV Live from, their soon to be outgoing set; Havelock House but the PQ is still terrible in HD as it still outputs with SD studio equipment. I might watch UTV Live bulletins when they move to their new studio in the Titanic Quarters if it happens in the future.

I do tend to watch BBC Newsline or Wales Today in HD on BBC One HD from Northern Ireland or Wales either if I'm watching a Sunday night drama or The Graham Norton Show on Friday or Sunday nights. If I watch BBC News at 10 on other days of the week; I will leave it on the News Channel to watch Sportsday & The Papers.

On the other hand as an Irish viewer; I do get my Irish news from RTÉ. The regional news from England IMO are still very well produced bulletins from either ITV or the BBC. I have watched various BBC bulletins from England a few times over the years including North West Today, Midlands Today, South Today, South East Today, London, Channel Islands, East Midlands Today & Look North.

In terms of the new BBC New Broadcasting House set design built for them in England so far; I will give you my top 5 preferences.

1st place - BBC Spotlight
2nd place - BBC London
3rd place - BBC Midlands Today
4th Place - BBC Look East
5th Place - BBC Channel Islands

The lack of HD coming from BBC Regional News in England is still poor. Ideally it does needs a quick and radical investment to make them more modern and fresh for the needs of today. The cutbacks at the BBC are causing it to be a little bit backward in their aim for these studios to be at the height of being technologically advanced. Putting the regional news on iPlayer will only become good for their audience to bring short term gains in viewer numbers. But how long will that impact last on broadcast news on linear TV? I still think that linear TV will still give the bigger improvement in HD picture & sound when compared to online broadcasts of the same programmes. The regional news need a critical investment in terms of upgrading to HD as soon as possible.

The lack of HD from BBC Regional News in England is still a bit of a joke right now. It has to improve to become more relevant.

Newer posts