The Newsroom

North American Affilliates/Network Set Design

American,Canadian Network & Affilate Set Designs (February 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
The old incomparable opening to the National from the early 2000s, best theme ever IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSPM-Qqlc4

Agreed, have always thought this was the best news opening ever.
MO
Mouseboy33
It isnt it. I think CBC missed a trick by dumping the signature. its so strong. Think NBC Chimes. Everyone know what it means. I know CBC wanted to try something new. But they certainly could have retained the signature and worked into whatever new theme they created. But overall its was sad when they dumped the theme. Thought i do like the new look. And the serious tone of the broadcast. I love the lower third shifted to the side of the screen halfway up. Id like to see it developed, because im not a fan of the colour or font but its a great idea. overall its a thumbs up from me.
GL
globaltraffic24
CBC - The NATIONAL Launches tonight with 4 presenters and a new set. The show has departed from the brighter set used for previous Peter Mansbridge version. Now the set is darker. Most of the CBC news sets are white a bright including the CBCnewsNETWORK set. The National is currently beaten in the ratings by CTV National News and Global National so, it will be interesting to see if this new look and line up and push the ratings.

The new intro is really not working for me. Really needs a voiceover of some kind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0OOdNJBKmQ

Last show before the relaunch; much more authoritative feel (starts at 1:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3TYsxETX_I

Feels like CBC took some inspiration from Terzake - the main evening news programme on Belgium's CANVAS. The sets are both dark and moody, the titles take influence from the 'newspaper' feel with still shots of the headline stories and the programme itself is more in-depth (think Newsnight).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTvtpP9sok
NYTV, JosiahStuart and Charles gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
KOTA - Rapid City, SD (Very small market - Market #170)
Quite a decent set for such a small market. Still not a fan of the stacked stone that seems to be the new trend. Apparently the studio and equipment upgrades cost around $10 Million. Gray Media group has taken an interesting development by using PTZ cams with a flat screen used as the autocue.
http://media.graytvinc.com/images/810*455/KOTA+005.jpg
RK
Rkolsen
Well this is what happens when one of KNBC’s 85” portrait window dies:

They put up a pop up signage in the place. When they built the studio they should have made a sign that can fill the “window space” with a generic graphic.

I’m surprised that the monitors died so early in their life when they started using the studio in 2014.
RK
Rkolsen
The KNBC video wall issue appears to have been fixed. I’m not sure if it worked during the afternoon / early newscasts. I almost think this may have been a video wall server issue. I seem to remember now that during AM instagrams the Middle Wall has had alignment issues - where about the top quarter of the screen appeared black or was on the bottom on the screen. That or they had a spare handy and was installed quickly.

21 days later

RK
Rkolsen
KNBC has been doing lives from their newsroom flash cam (that actually has two cameras) for the past week. Based on Instagram stories on their @NBCLA it appears they completely removed the old monitor wall and placed an LED wall in its place. The LED wall in the pictures stands further out from old wall by about a foot or so. I assume it’s for support.

Well get this their Spanish language neighbors having work done in their studio starting this past Monday. Both stations were coming from cameras that probably aren’t more than 30 feet from each other.

RK
Rkolsen
Turns out both stations are getting 4K LED video tile monitor walls.
NG
noggin Founding member
Well this is what happens when one of KNBC’s 85” portrait window dies:

They put up a pop up signage in the place. When they built the studio they should have made a sign that can fill the “window space” with a generic graphic.

I’m surprised that the monitors died so early in their life when they started using the studio in 2014.

Wonder if the set designers were able to follow the proper mounting and ventilation guidelines for the screens. If there isn't decent airflow between and behind them, they could easily be running warmer than is ideal, which isn't great for longevity.

Or it could just be bad luck. In the early 00s I know of a studio that had lots of plasmas die less than 12 months after they were purchased, and cooling was implicated.
MA
Markymark

Well, none of those problems in 1982:-

13 seconds in...

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/938428886945234944
RK
Rkolsen

Wonder if the set designers were able to follow the proper mounting and ventilation guidelines for the screens. If there isn't decent airflow between and behind them, they could easily be running warmer than is ideal, which isn't great for longevity.

Or it could just be bad luck. In the early 00s I know of a studio that had lots of plasmas die less than 12 months after they were purchased, and cooling was implicated.

I’m not sure the set back was. I think there’s atleast 3 feet from the various BTS photos I’ve seen. The building which opened in 2014 was designed as a “green building” and the lights are all LED. Maybe they were running the sets a bit warmer than ususal.

Up until the KNBC set I am not sure this set designer used the portrait style windows in their video walls. The previous NBC stations that used the video portrait walls all used the same designer (I want to say Clickspring) and make (Panasonic Plasmas). One lesson they learned was that the screens had to be mounted angled down - to avoid the glare.

Edit : The wall is much larger than the old one. Supposedly it’s 4K.

Last edited by Rkolsen on 7 December 2017 3:31pm
MO
Mouseboy33
I wonder if the other O&Os will be updating to these.WNBC just got a new set recently and I think WMAQ-Chicago is the older of the 3. They need a entirely new setup. Their set is so tiny and cramped it looks horrible.

Newer posts