TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I never understood why BBC One decided to move Breakfast Time in February 1985 to a 6.50am start. Pointless. By 1985 TV AM had started at 6.15am, were the BBC unhappy that TV AM were on earlier and getting more viewers by this time, so they decided to move it to 6.50am?

The aim was to compete better with TVam in the post-9am slot, hence it now finished at 9.20. And presumably they didn't give them any more money to make the show longer.

Probably artificially boosted their average too as post-9am would rate better than 6.30am.
DP
D.Page
Unusual graphics issue on BBC2 NI during the closing credits of Made in NI (28-10-2017, at 6.14pm). The screen suddenly goes blank and a Ulster Rugby Live scheduling caption comes up but with no time filled in, so just crosses (at 0:11):

DP
D.Page
Wave Day played out to full length (39"+3" hold on end frame) on BBC2 NI at 11.59am today, possibly due to an unexpected, very last second timing adjustment on Network:

DE88, Justin and Cavan gave kudos

10 days later

MD
MrDexB
Excuse me if I should move this to YouTube Gold, but it didn't seem important enough to be over there.

The timings seems to be different on this early clip of Blade from November 1991. Was there some early experimentation then?

GE
thegeek Founding member
Have I missed any mention of this trailer endboard style? I've seen it a couple of times on the News Channel (these couple of examples are from the early hours of this morning).

There was a standard teal 'window' one on Two after MasterChef last night, so it's not clear whether this is supposed to be on everything and someone jumped the gun on rolling it out, or there's a general lack of consistency.

DP
D.Page
The timings seems to be different on this early clip of Blade from November 1991. Was there some early experimentation then?

Hmmm. I have full length copies of the first five idents, from the first batch (that's Water, Copper Cut Out, Paint, Blade and Neon (or Sign as it is named on the VT clock) ) directly from a BBC Laserdisc used for TX. Blade appears as we all know it. I haven't ever seen any other occasion of a delayed drop.

It's worth pointing out that BBC2 NI delayed Paint in much the same way a couple of years ago on one occasion, so to my mind it's probable it would have been the pres department's continuity announcer controlling any delay in that drop, live, during the anno.
Last edited by D.Page on 15 November 2017 7:36am - 2 times in total
PF
PFML84
...it's not clear whether this is supposed to be on everything and someone jumped the gun on rolling it out, or there's a general lack of consistency.

This is the current BBC we're talking about, so I think it's safe to say it's the latter.

14 days later

DP
D.Page
BBC2 Network has created an additional BBC Action Line information slide, making use of a still from Optics, and without use of a slant or zooming in, just positioned offset to the left and with the text, as usual, to the right. Used at 9.59pm last night immediately after Employable Me. Looks good. I do know NI just used their Copper Cut Out slanted slide, don't know what Wales or Scotland used.

DE88, ToasterMan and Rex gave kudos
RE
Rex
BBC2 Network has created an additional BBC Action Line information slide, making use of a still from Optics, and without use of a slant or zooming in, just positioned offset to the left and with the text, as usual, to the right. Used at 9.59pm last night immediately after Employable Me. Looks good. I do know NI just used their Copper Cut Out slanted slide, don't know what Wales or Scotland used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63j9-M1iNI

Compared to the zoomed ‘2’ pres that they’ve relied on for the past eight years, this looks much better to the eye.
:-(
A former member
Still looks crap though. The text all being the same size and weight looks ridiculous.
DP
D.Page
Still looks crap though. The text all being the same size and weight looks ridiculous.

So, do you have any better concepts for BBC2 info slides that make use of the 90s idents? Is it just the text you're not happy about?
:-(
A former member
Putting some poorly-formatted text on top of a 20+ year old ident is a concept?

Newer posts