TV Home Forum

Interesting Endboards

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steddenm
The Road yo Coronation Street recently was rebroadcast on ITV3 with the “ITV Studios for BBC” end board followed by the generic ITV Studios one.

Surely they could’ve just cut the ITVS/BBC one out?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Here’s an early example of an ITV for BBC endcap.

At some stage I presume BBC credit guidelines changed to how it is now where the background of the endcap has to be black, as seen on Royle Family episodes where you'd get a small version of the blue Granada logo but much more low key than on ITV.

That Granada Production for LWT endcap was odd, as surely the production was for ITV rather than just LWT

I always find the current "A production for ITV News and Current Affairs" odd, shouldn't it be "An ITV News and Current Affairs production" because at the moment they are telling us who they are producing it for but not who "they" actually are.
XQ
XQD

At some stage I presume BBC credit guidelines changed to how it is now where the background of the endcap has to be black, as seen on Royle Family episodes where you'd get a small version of the blue Granada logo but much more low key than on ITV.

As seen in these three examples from the first and third series and the Queen of Sheba special:

Series 1 - 1998 (interesting that this is for BBC Manchester and not just BBC):

Series 3 - 2000:

Queen of Sheba - 2006:
GO
gottago
LCL92 posted:
ITV makes quite a bit for Sky, though a lot of it through the various production companies and arms that ITV have bought or inherited over the years. Sky One's One Hundred And Eighty dart-show a year or two was done by ITV and one of their previous shows, Brainiac and its spin-offs were done by Granada Productions. Noel's Christmas Presents was done by ITV Studios for Sky many years after the BBC dropped it.

I meant more a direct ITV Studios production, such as something produced by the Entertainment label.

One Hundred and Eighty was an ITV Studio Entertainment production (I worked on it) and I’m pretty sure that was the most recent thing that label made for Sky One.
MS
msim
"A Granada Production for LWT", from 2001:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGNCWmDybY

There was another version of this IIRC using the purple endcaps.

On a related presentation note Night and Day was the only programme that I can remember that used red smokey hearts on this ECP design. Many other programmes used yellow or defaulted to blue, but I think there were half a dozen colours available.

Regarding this, I did a bit of research a while back in this post:https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1048321#post-1048321. To quote from that, the reason behind the "Granada Production for LWT" was seemingly due to the way United News Media (whom LWT had commissioned to produce the series, presumably due to LWT being a weekend only contractor?) was bought and divided up in 2000/2001.

Quote:
The first few episodes, certainly the first three 'daytime' ones, were credited as a Granada Production for LWT with the Granada G arrow endcap. At some point after that all episodes were credited as an LWT production, carrying the purple LWT endcap. Indeed even back in 2001, after the series' first episode, it was commented on this forum (http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/granada-production-lwt-35070/) about the odd way the series was credited. Early press releases for Night And Day in early August 2000 used its pre-production title of Trafalgar Road, citing it had been commissioned by ITV Network Centre from United Productions. I assume that post the commission, when the production side of UNM was bought by Granada later that month, the internal politics then meant LWT become the named producer?

All episodes, broadcast in the UK and internationally carried the smokey effect ECP style, even those airing after the Oct 2002 ITV1 rebrand and the introduction of centrally aligned text and full screen endcaps.

Remember that Granada bough the TV side of United, kept the production business but due to competition reasons, had to sell HTV to Carlton. Hence the further odd branding of HTV consisting of a Carlton heart/star ident finished with an HTV Granada blue spinning hearts logo.
RO
robertclark125
There were the "silhouette" Thames Television endcaps in the 1980s, for programmes they made on Channel 4, such as "4 what it's worth".

On this video, there's a very rare endcap for a programme on the long defunct BBC Select service. It was made by Thames Television, but for the Department of Social Security, in 1992. The endcap to the show, which was broadcast unscrambled, reflects who commissioned it. go to 01:26 to see the end cap, and the other rare bits after it.

VM
VMPhil
LCL92 posted:

As seen in these three examples from the first and third series and the Queen of Sheba special:

As Andrew says, after 1997 the guidelines changed and endcaps for shows made by independent production companies were only allowed to appear on a black background with a specific 'for BBC' layout.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/corporate2/images/width/live/p0/2l/bs/p02lbsxt.jpg/608

However Granada didn't follow this rule, at least initially.

The Royle Family DVD set I have is very inconsistent on the endcaps. Episodes 1, 2, 4 and 5 of series 1 don't have a traditional endcap, and instead end on the last credits with a copyright notice underneath.

Episodes 3 and 6 have this endcap, which I assume is what originally went out on broadcast. I'm not sure why they forgot to cut them off these episodes, but I'm thankful they didn't.

As LCL92 points out, the first series was a production for BBC Manchester specifically. The second series onwards was just a plain 'for BBC' production. My DVD set is inconsistent again, only the final episode of series 2 and the 1999 Christmas special having the proper endcap. You can see they have followed the guidelines a bit more this time with a black background.

This was used again for series 3 (which thankfully includes the endcap on all episodes on my DVD!)
Last edited by VMPhil on 1 November 2017 9:43pm
SW
Steve Williams
LCL92 posted:
Very interesting. What on earth was that used for?

As the video points out, it was on a documentary on The Tube - presumably as a production by Yorkshire TV about a Tyne Tees programme and using loads of their archive, it made sense to bill it like that. Actually that reminds me of the Tube revival Tyne Tees made for Sky One and C4 at the millennium, because they also made a behind the scenes show for Tyne Tees which was then shown in the other Granada regions, so you had the rather odd situation of an ITV programme about a C4 one.

I didn't learn until recently, but Gladiators was supposed to have finished at the end of its regular series. But in a bid to promote On Digital, "they" asked LWT to made a series of specials to give it a proper send off. The episodes were shown to On Digital customers (no idea what channel) before being shown on ITV in December 1999.

Considering On Digital was co-owned by the company that owned the company that produced Gladiators, how does a commission like that even work?

It was on First ONDigital which was a channel that usually showed rolling promos but occasionally had special events - a bit like BT Sport Showcase or Channel 100 on Virgin Media. There was a number of ITV shows in 1999 that were shown on First ONDigital, er, first - I remember there was an Emmerdale special that also appeared on ONDigital a few weeks before its ITV transmission.

It was also home to something called Best Of British Television Fortnight where several of its channels would "curate" a day of programmes, I can't remember them all now but I know UK Gold curated a day of Only Fools and Horses repeats, and so on. I never had ONDigital at the time, I just remember it all from the adverts in the Radio Times.

Anyway, here's another one, which I reminded about by The Channel Archive on Twitter...

TI
TIGHazard

The Royle Family DVD set I have is very inconsistent on the endcaps. Episodes 1, 2, 4 and 5 of series 1 don't have a traditional endcap, and instead end on the last credits with a copyright notice underneath.

Episodes 3 and 6 have this endcap, which I assume is what originally went out on broadcast. I'm not sure why they forgot to cut them off these episodes, but I'm thankful they didn't.

I just quickly checked the copies of series 1 on Netflix. All of them (including episodes 3 and 6) have this endboard.

So which was the original? I guess the only way to find out is to find some continuity from the period.

Newer posts