The Newsroom

BBC World News from New Broadcasting House

14th January 2013 - The Worlds Newsroom (January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
That's just a lazy excuse IMO. Other media organisations (smaller than the BBC, but bigger than BBC News) have managed company wide rebrands on a single day and the BBC should have the confidence to do it too.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The BBC did manage an organisation-wide rebrand in 1997 to such an effect that Look North went to the trouble of re-editing it's short bulletin titles to use the new logo for that weekend before a full relaunch on the Monday.

In many respects that was the pinnacle of corporate identity, a simple branding that every outlet could adopt easily so everything looked like it was coming from the same place but with some flexibility to establish brand personalities.
MD
mdtauk
That's just a lazy excuse IMO. Other media organisations (smaller than the BBC, but bigger than BBC News) have managed company wide rebrands on a single day and the BBC should have the confidence to do it too.

Unfortunately we are living in times where the BBC is seemingly on life support, and can not afford (in terms of money and press coverage) to be seen as "wasting money" on rebrands.

BBC News will no doubt see a re-brand in time, and it will have to work with at least the news bulletins, Regional, National, World and News channels. Global News may come at a later time or be included in the re-brand proper.
RK
Rkolsen
BBC News is a much larger organisation to bring into line. And BBC News has to manage their own budgets. It will happen, but in terms of time scale, its easier to handle the other channels and even BBC Weather as it moves to a new provider and new software.

Unfortunately we are living in times where the BBC is seemingly on life support, and can not afford (in terms of money and press coverage) to be seen as "wasting money" on rebrands.

BBC News will no doubt see a re-brand in time, and it will have to work with at least the news bulletins, Regional, National, World and News channels. Global News may come at a later time or be included in the re-brand proper.

I could easily see the VizRT stations rebranding at once - wouldn’t that be BBC News, World News, The Nations (I’d assume), it appeared some of Global News runs Viz Opus (which can do graphics) so they could be included, and what London and Salford regionally? The problem would be those extremely outdated regions that are running systems that are what 10-15 or more years old and the one or two bureaus running CasperCG. They would all have to be recoded to match.
MD
mdtauk

I could easily see the VizRT stations rebranding at once - wouldn’t that be BBC News, World News, The Nations (I’d assume), it appeared some of Global News runs Viz Opus (which can do graphics) so they could be included, and what London and Salford regionally? The problem would be those extremely outdated regions that are running systems that are what 10-15 or more years old and the one or two bureaus running CasperCG. They would all have to be recoded to match.

VizRT would make it easier to supply new assets and go through testing before going to air for sure. There are those regions not yet updated that would need more time to bring into line.

Then there are the offline templates. social media video and live templates and workflows to do. Sending assets to the worldwide studios and operations. Updating the equipment vehicle wraps. The website is quite a bit larger than BBC Sport's, and the design would have to accommodate the various languages that Global News caters for.

BBC News, well BBC Global News runs advertising so depending on the time-scales those operate in, updating marketing materials is also a consideration. Then there may be new formats and strands they plan to launch alongside any re-branding - architectural or just interior designs needed for Broadcasting House and other world wide studios.
RK
Rkolsen

VizRT would make it easier to supply new assets and go through testing before going to air for sure. There are those regions not yet updated that would need more time to bring into line.

Then there are the offline templates. social media video and live templates and workflows to do. Sending assets to the worldwide studios and operations. Updating the equipment vehicle wraps. The website is quite a bit larger than BBC Sport's, and the design would have to accommodate the various languages that Global News caters for.

BBC News, well BBC Global News runs advertising so depending on the time-scales those operate in, updating marketing materials is also a consideration. Then there may be new formats and strands they plan to launch alongside any re-branding - architectural or just interior designs needed for Broadcasting House and other world wide studios.

Wasn’t thinking of a total rebrand but maybe rebrand the astons and full screen graphics. Maybe keep the globe elements and what I call the cats cradle of intersecting cities.

I think a user told be that graphics such as lower thirds and full screen elements are added in the control room. But if they needed to do it in the field I assume a MOS connection to the server could be used.
RO
rob Founding member

WE
welshkid
rob posted:

Nice. A new thread has been setup for this relaunch

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-world-news-30th-october-43074/#

Newer posts