TV Home Forum

Dealing with the lack of regional news on BBC One HD

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
BBC One HD has been around for seven years now, hard to believe, and it appears we are not any closer to the introduction of regional news on the service.

So, how do you deal with this occasional annoyance? Do you

-Switch to SD for the news and back to HD as soon as it ends
-Stay on SD and put up with softer picture quality
-Stay on HD and put up with no regional news
-Moan at me for starting a thread on such a trivial problem, preferably followed by the rolling eyes emoticon

For those of you on certain Freeview sets/boxes with the ability to change channel numbers i.e. putting the HD channels in place of the SD ones, do you put BBC One HD on 1 and SD on 101? Or do you leave SD on 101 to avoid other household members asking where the regional news has gone?
Stuart, ToasterMan and Rex gave kudos
RE
Rex
I sometimes watch BBC London News, and normally will go to the SD version as soon as the weather segment of the BBC News begins.

Otherwise, leave it on HD. The lack of HD Local News is annoying, but the BBC just doesn’t have the money to completely get all of its local outlets to HD.

And personally, I don’t get bothered by it that much!
AE
AlexEdohHD13
BBC One HD has been around for seven years now, hard to believe, and it appears we are not any closer to the introduction of regional news on the service.

So, how do you deal with this occasional annoyance? Do you

-Switch to SD for the news and back to HD as soon as it ends
-Stay on SD and put up with softer picture quality
-Stay on HD and put up with no regional news
-Moan at me for starting a thread on such a trivial problem, preferably followed by the rolling eyes emoticon

For those of you on certain Freeview sets/boxes with the ability to change channel numbers i.e. putting the HD channels in place of the SD ones, do you put BBC One HD on 1 and SD on 101? Or do you leave SD on 101 to avoid other household members asking where the regional news has gone?

I switch to SD for regional news (sometimes for national news) and then back to HD after the news finishes.
MA
Markymark
I have set BBC 1 SD to ch 999, and BBC 1 HD is on ch 1. Just a simple tap of the P+/- button at the start and end of the opt slot.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I no longer watch the regional news live. If I haven't recorded the bulletin to my PVR, I catch-up on bulletins on iPlayer or in the case of ITV's regional bulletins, don't bother as they rarely post them on the website and they're not on the ITV Hub.
DJ
DJGM
ITV 17:00 for The Chase, and pretty much stay with ITV until 18:58.
AE
AlexEdohHD13
DJGM posted:

SD, let me guess?
VM
VMPhil
DJGM posted:

SD, let me guess?

The Granada region has regional news on ITV HD, so we’re lucky in that regard.
AE
AlexEdohHD13
DJGM posted:

SD, let me guess?

The Granada region has regional news on ITV HD, so we’re lucky in that regard.

My region (London) is also on ITV HD.
DJ
DJGM

DJGM posted:

SD, let me guess?

All 5 main HD terrestrial channels are programmed into channel numbers 1-5 on our main TV. The SD versions are randomly strewn across the rest of the EPG. So to add to VMPhil's comment, yeah, we watch Granada Reports in HD.
DV
dvboy
Very rarely would want to continue watching BBC One after Midlands Today, so usually tune to another channel, usually BBC News for Beyond 100 Days or sometimes ITV Central +1 if there's a big local story and I want to see ITV's angle on it.
UB
UBox
The same question can be proposed for some of the ITV regions which are also still SD. It is strange that ITV haven't gone HD since they have the funds for upgrades as opposed to BBC which have an obvious lack of funding and reason for such an upgrade in the eyes of many. I know a lot of people who say they can't see the difference between HD and SD (my Grandma for example) which seems a stupid claim to me but is a one I hear from people who aren't like us.

Going back to VMPhil's question - I would normally go for ITV and switch between SD and HD. My parents however like to watch the both regional bulletins (yeah, I'm not sure either) again on SD.

Newer posts