TV Home Forum

ITV Idents (Post Christmas)

(January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Indeed, people knew that there are different ITV regions. (And that is what help developed my interest in TV Pres/working within the industry)
Lou Scannon, harshy and Spencer gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

I doubt anyone was confused that they couldn’t pick up Yorkshire Television in London.

I remember my sister being surprised she couldn't get Capital FM in Cornwall. I tried explaining why it was called that!

(of course this was a long while ago, before it became available everywhere)
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 26 October 2017 9:13pm - 2 times in total
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
It was quite enlightening actually as a youngster to go on holiday somewhere and flip the TV on to see which ITV region you were in, back then the ident before every programme was the clue, if not the teletext service (if available to you - bearing in mind most people don't go on holiday primarily to sit in front of a TV box in a caravan/hotel). But I don't buy the "somebody goes to London and gets confused because they don't see their ITV" thing - even back then during regional names the evening schedule was exactly the same across the country anyway, the only difference was probably more regional ads and a different, maybe superior looking ident...
MA
Markymark
It was quite enlightening actually as a youngster to go on holiday somewhere and flip the TV on to see which ITV region you were in, back then the ident before every programme was the clue, if not the teletext service (if available to you - bearing in mind most people don't go on holiday primarily to sit in front of a TV box in a caravan/hotel). But I don't buy the "somebody goes to London and gets confused because they don't see their ITV" thing - even back then during regional names the evening schedule was exactly the same across the country anyway, the only difference was probably more regional ads and a different, maybe superior looking ident...

There were also reasonably prominent ITV regional variations in all newspapers on the listing pages, so public awareness that ITV was 'different, but the same' elsewhere was high.
JO
Jonny
the only difference was probably more regional ads and a different, maybe superior looking ident...

A fond memory that sticks in my mind - being in a holiday hotel bar showing World Cup 2002 on a big projector screen, mesmerised by the alien Carlton ident that came on beforehand, which looked utterly spectacular in comparison to the Tyne Tees Hearts I was accustomed to.

Definitely a curiosity-sparking experience that cemented my interest in such geekery too!
IT
Ittr
ITV1 aside, the whole ITV needs a new rebrand, as the current graphics package/idents/stings are getting to the 4 year mark. The only channel that has presentation a bit newer is ITV2 but it's still old.
TC
TCOTV
I wonder if they will regret dropping the 1 because surly they will want to call the itv hub just itv in the future.

itv one launching soon? 😂

I agree that logo is better as one colour. Five years ago I could see the reason for using colour but it looks tired now.

I am surprised itv be was never called itv 2e. They seem to link the channels quiet a bit.
TO
tomo359
ITV1 aside, the whole ITV needs a new rebrand, as the current graphics package/idents/stings are getting to the 4 year mark. The only channel that has presentation a bit newer is ITV2 but it's still old.

Of course it doesn't need a rebrand...since when does 4 years mean a network/channel must rebrand? There is nothing wrong with the look of both ITV the channel and network and it still looks fresh and modern.
At most they might change channel idents but I can't see that happening for at least another 3 years or so as they can just keep adding to the set to keep it fresh.
JA
JAS84

Honestly, they're fine for a few more years yet. BBC One's circles lasted 10 years before that oneness crap replaced them, and BBC Two are using 26 year old idents, which lasted 10 years first time around. Channel 4's idents before the current ones also lasted around a decade.
DS
DarthSidious

Of course it doesn't need a rebrand...since when does 4 years mean a network/channel must rebrand? There is nothing wrong with the look of both ITV the channel and network and it still looks fresh and modern.
At most they might change channel idents but I can't see that happening for at least another 3 years or so as they can just keep adding to the set to keep it fresh.

It does still look fresh and contemporary, but the idents are just a big letdown in my opinion, especially the Christmas ones which the same video footage replayed year after year. I know that they seem quite popular but theres no imagination.

But then again, I still miss the yellow era logo and idents, but I disliked it when they made the logo glossy. My favourite look is still the 2002 with the celebrity idents, and I know some thought it was tacky but the whole looked packed a punch.
DB
dbl
ITV1 aside, the whole ITV needs a new rebrand, as the current graphics package/idents/stings are getting to the 4 year mark.

Refresh or Rebrand? There's a difference.

The latter is more for changing the objectives of the brand, a do over. Refresh is just adding a new lick of paint to keep it fresh.
Last edited by dbl on 27 October 2017 4:06pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
This thread is literally going round in circles

Newer posts