TV Home Forum

The X Factor and Strictly

Split from New look BBC One - Jan 2017 (September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer

As Brekkie said earlier Judge's Houses are an expensive two episodes and with fewer viewers and higher salaries for the judges they probably wouldn't be able to do half of it without all the product placement.

Any other show would just replace it with something cheaper and easier.
AN
Andrew Founding member
dvboy posted:
Johnr posted:
I believe if you fly through Dublin you can pre clear US Customs / Immigration to avoid a very long queue at the other end too! Which I'm sure is useful with all the contestants and crew flying out.

Correct - you can clear US immigration and get the ESTA stamped at Dublin / Shannon airports.

It would have been on a visa surely as it is for work not visiting. In any case they would have had to arrange this in advance so the surprise of going to the US is obviously a fabrication.

Everything in TV is a fabrication when you think about it too much
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:
Johnr posted:
I believe if you fly through Dublin you can pre clear US Customs / Immigration to avoid a very long queue at the other end too! Which I'm sure is useful with all the contestants and crew flying out.

Correct - you can clear US immigration and get the ESTA stamped at Dublin / Shannon airports.

It would have been on a visa surely as it is for work not visiting. In any case they would have had to arrange this in advance so the surprise of going to the US is obviously a fabrication.

I'm trying to remember when I applied for my ESTA three years ago. ISTR it was an on line form, where I entered my passport number, personal details, and a credit card number. Pushed 'Send' and a minute later an email arrived with confirmation and Visa number. In other words, the individual concerned doesn't need to be involved, only someone with access to their details ?
DV
dvboy
dvboy posted:

I'm trying to remember when I applied for my ESTA three years ago. ISTR it was an on line form, where I entered my passport number, personal details, and a credit card number. Pushed 'Send' and a minute later an email arrived with confirmation and Visa number. In other words, the individual concerned doesn't need to be involved, only someone with access to their details ?

It's still the case but the ESTA is not valid for work which you could argue they are doing.
JA
jay Founding member
dvboy posted:
dvboy posted:

It's still the case but the ESTA is not valid for work which you could argue they are doing.

ESTA’s are valid for work or pleasure purposes up to a maximum of 30 days at a time I believe. And as has been pointed out, all you need is passport information and it’s pretty simple to do. Not a grand conspiracy as some people seem to think, as always, with this show.
MA
Markymark
jay posted:
dvboy posted:

ESTA’s are valid for work or pleasure purposes up to a maximum of 30 days at a time I believe. And as has been pointed out, all you need is passport information and it’s pretty simple to do. Not a grand conspiracy as some people seem to think, as always, with this show.

It seems you can make a group booking, so there you go, no need for the actual traveller to do anything, (other than pass on their details to the booker)

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

90 days max per trip too (confirmed by the stamp in my passport)
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
The Strictly for Children in Need has been announced...
Quote:
Here’s one they rehearsed earlier! Six Blue Peter stars take to the Strictly ballroom for Children in Need
Six well-loved Blue Peter presenters from the past 60 years will enter the glitz and glamour of the ballroom as Mark Curry, Diane-Louise Jordan, Anthea Turner, Tim Vincent, Konnie Huq and Radzi Chinyanganya, will join forces with the Strictly professional dancers in a bid to win the Pudsey Glitter Ball trophy for BBC Children in Need.

Full press release: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/cin-strictly
NG
noggin Founding member
jay posted:
dvboy posted:

I suspect you might be pushing it to go in on an ESTA for X Factor as a contestant. May depend on how the talent are contracted. If they are paid for their performances then they may be out of scope for Visa Waiver / ESTA. I'm not an expert - but crew would need to be on something like an O-Visa - and it's possible talent might need to be either O or P (suspect more likely to be O)

I've heard that some media still travel to the US under ESTAs. They are crazy... You don't want to mess with US Immigration, it can screw your ability to travel there long term. You should always have an I-Visa and an O-Visa - and it needs to be valid for your specific project (you can't assume a 5 year I-Visa in your passport is all you need)
HJ
HJL
Anyone found anything to suggest the X Factor move to LH2 has resulted in a new set??? Interested to see if we’ll finally get something new- it is about time!

https://instagram.com/p/BaowDm6FvCv/
Last edited by HJL on 24 October 2017 7:28pm - 6 times in total
WH
Whataday Founding member
A waste of money? It was clearly paid for by Aer Lingus, did you not notice the mass of their logos slapped on everything and the viewer competition?!

Johnr posted:

Maybe a bit of both?

MA
Markymark
jay posted:
dvboy posted:

I suspect you might be pushing it to go in on an ESTA for X Factor as a contestant. May depend on how the talent are contracted. If they are paid for their performances then they may be out of scope for Visa Waiver / ESTA. I'm not an expert - but crew would need to be on something like an O-Visa - and it's possible talent might need to be either O or P (suspect more likely to be O)

Reading up on this, I suppose it depends on whether the authorities view such work as 'journalism/media'.
The contestants are not being paid locally in the US, so it's not a case of US employment. Everyone I know
attends the NAB show in Las Vegas on ESTAs, because in effect it's nothing more than a massive business meeting. Mind you, always put 'Electronics Engineer' rather than 'Broadcast Engineer' as occupation Smile (Same applies for UK car insurance applications)

However, I do agree, best these days with the US to err fully on the side of caution !
OM
Omnipresent
I flew out of London Heathrow Terminal 5 when Sam Bailey and the rest of the overs flew to Los Angeles for Judges Houses with Sharon Osborne and you could hear the producer telling them to jump up and down on the “reveal”. “Remember you’re not going to Belfast!!”

I assume this year they flew to San Francisco via Dublin because BA and Virgin wouldn’t offer flights.

Newer posts