TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
Is the Wright Stuff currently broadcast from studio 2 as Whiteleys? The audience and set seems a lot smaller than when they first designed the set around the gorgeous windows
(from 0:47s)

I say when they first designed them around the windows as I believe the previous set (with the circle background and white padded booth) was used at Whiteley's first.
TC
TCOTV
Spike appears to be changing its name to 5Spike at the end of the month according to the press pack:

Why don't they just stylise the name to 5pike if they want people to know it is part of the Channel 5 family? Or just merge the content with 5 USA and 5 STAR? They don't need another channel for all that Spike shows that wouldn't fit elsewhere. I dread to think what they will be calling Paramount when it launches...!

I am guessing we might see changes on screen tomorrow?

I'll give credit where credit is due, channel 5 has come along way in the last few year with its programming. I mean there is still some rubbish but it has improved. With the name channel 5 being tarnish as a crap channel it always surprised me why Viacom never tried a completely new name for the channel. That new name they choose could be a name like itv and that could help name and network there other channels better. I mean I have an idea on what I might call it and that the marketing will cost a bit but surly in the long run it will benefit them?
JA
JAS84
They could've called it V. Of course, V is both the roman numeral for five, and the first letter in the name Viacom.
VM
VMPhil
Viacom is not a consumer facing brand, it doesn't need to be in the name of the channel
KU
Kunst
And it'd sound bad IMO.. it's not a coincidence that the Eastern Europe "Viacom Blink" brand as an experiment has failed (replaced by Paramount Channel)

Not everything has to be "rebranded"; just because some associate Channel 5 with low-ratedTV shows it doesn't mean it's a "bad" brand.. at most, it's a neutral one, and it's one of the best ones for the fifth terrestrial channel; in addition to that, even the graphics and the idents are nice, some of the best ones they've ever had
JO
Jon
JAS84 posted:
They could've called it V. Of course, V is both the roman numeral for five, and the first letter in the name Viacom.

I think that would lead everyone to think it was owned by Richard Branson.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I don't think anybody associates Branson or Virgin with the letter "V" unless it was the trademark "tick".
LS
Lou Scannon
Kunst posted:
And it'd sound bad IMO.. it's not a coincidence that the Eastern Europe "Viacom Blink" brand as an experiment has failed (replaced by Paramount Channel)

"Blink" (with or without the parent company's name as a prefix) sounds like an utterly meaningless channel name anyway. One can't possibly guess its particular niche/skew/target demographic etc from that name.
BR
Brekkie
Kunst posted:

"Blink" (with or without the parent company's name as a prefix) sounds like an utterly meaningless channel name anyway. One can't possibly guess its particular niche/skew/target demographic etc from that name.

And you can from Spike?
LS
Lou Scannon
Kunst posted:

And you can from Spike?

Please show me the part of my post where I specifically said that Blink was the first/only channel in the universe with such a meaningless name.
MY
MY83
I don't think anybody associates Branson or Virgin with the letter "V" unless it was the trademark "tick".

V means something completely different in Norway.
JO
Josh
Spike appears to be changing its name to 5Spike at the end of the month according to the press pack:

Why don't they just stylise the name to 5pike if they want people to know it is part of the Channel 5 family? Or just merge the content with 5 USA and 5 STAR? They don't need another channel for all that Spike shows that wouldn't fit elsewhere. I dread to think what they will be calling Paramount when it launches...!

The week has come and.. no change, that I can see. Just the Spike logo in the corner, as always.

Newer posts