TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
Even if that did make a comeback, I'll still be disappointed to see that logo not get replaced.
FA
fanoftv
I too loved the January 2015 idents and hoped that they would become a new set with variations through the years. They'd definitely be better than oneness, even if they were used as a stop gap approach.

Let's hope that they've learned their lessons from last Christmas and create a lovely christmas package after this year of dullness. The film that they made for last Christmas wasn't bad, but the idents were rubbish. Clearly a marketing team pushed the idea of a Christmas advert style film before thinking about the idents and branding of a TV channel.

Then again at least BBC One gets something at Christmas. Poor BBC Two & Four have to rely on old ideas.
Maybe they should create a Christmas brand with characters;
I'm thinking more:

Than

Though at least sprout boy was much more festive than
:-(
A former member
These were really sweet and well made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VDkJKtjHDc

Baffling (as always with the BBC) that they come up with a great concept but don’t go any further with it. So much potential for these to have developed into something longer term.

I think I loved the version even more:
LO
lobster
there were very bland, look like they were knocked up in somebodies lunch break.

Unlike Oneness which look like they were knocked up in somebodies tea break.

i'm not defending oneness either, it's equally dull.

i think idents, stings completely composed of cgi tend to look very bad - 90s-esq unless of course a great deal of time and skill is taken to compose and create them.

i'm pretty sure i could knock something up like the "love" stings in blender in just a couple of hours - it's just dull - it's just a handful of keyframes, a material emitter, and not much else.

another good example of the lazy use of cgi in idents are those used on bbc two for tennis and snooker - they looked awful on screen - in fact, even worse than the typical cgi you were able to create on an amiga during the 1990s.

the oneness idents shot by martin parr just missed the mark, not least because oneness as a concept is meaningless.

combining great photography and skilled cgi artists will create an identity that's aesthetically pleasing and interesting - the current and previous channel 4 idents are great examples of this - say what you like about the branding or lack of, the production values and skill which went into the most recent set, has created something interesting - the previous set really spoiled us, specially diner, tokyo - great ideas brilliantly executed.

i stumbled across the 2011 sky atlantic idents the other day on youtube - again, those are primarily 'people' idents, yet, the execution is interesting and the blending between cgi and real is difficult to spot (add to that the sky movies disney idents that were much the same)

it's possible, with a little bit of effort and imagination that everything the bbc has done presentation wise, conceptually could have been awesome... they've just got lazy.
Last edited by lobster on 21 October 2017 2:19pm - 2 times in total
DP
D.Page
One, of at least two, Gunpowder stings.

Witnessed another before Pointless but didn't manage to capture it.
:-(
A former member
Wales chose Liv Tyler:

whereas everywhere else had Kit Harrington at 9.10pm

DP
D.Page
This is the one shown in the junction before Pointless. (it's Ep. 1 of 3 tonight, so bound to be shown next Saturday night):

WI
Wicko
Gunpowder is currently making up for the poor idents. It's superb. Really superb.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Anybody seen the latest Smyths Toys advert? Something tells me they got the idea from the Sprout Boy story!
IT
Ittr
Anybody seen the latest Smyths Toys advert? Something tells me they got the idea from the Sprout Boy story! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ0PwKS28mg

Smyths adverts are very cringy since 2013 though, lets not go there.
BA
bilky asko
Be that as it may, I'd never even heard of them prior to those style of adverts.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Little bit of an error at the end of East Midlands Today this lunchtime. Dom Heale signed off and instead of the normal endboard we had a few seconds of BBC News Channel coverage. This happen anywhere else?

Newer posts