TV Home Forum

DOGS

No complaints about DOGs, please (October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
OF992 posted:
I don’t really want talk about clocks! Try to talk more about the logos.

I'm sorry* we've talked about clocks that were on screen what is now the best part of 35 years ago, but they are the DOGs of their time and some of us actually remember a time when we only had four channels and could watch TV without having a channel name stuck in the corner 24/7.

*This may or may not be true.

Some of us remember when we only had two channels. Does anyone remember when they only had one?

I remember when we had none, though that was because the power was out.
NG
noggin Founding member

Yep - if you'd done that to someone from Designs Dept you'd have soon been corrected Wink

Zipper
Though according to that page the BBC eventually did it themselves:

it was later decided to merge Design Group and Research Department (with significant job losses) to form a new Research and Development Department

A long time later though, and well after the heyday of Designs Dept...
VM
VMPhil
On the topic of DOGs. I've just remembered the most meta DOG that existed, the 'MTV Hits Logo' one back in 2004 when said channel had a strange revamp, dropping the official MTV logo and using a handwritten style.

http://www.alexmusic.net/tele/tvshots/0501/mtvhits.jpg

Seen here a few months later when they dropped the 'logo' bit.
ST
Stuart
I think one of the problems with the TV-am watercolour ident was that it didn't really match the logo they used elsewhere as part of their on-screen identity.

http://i64.tinypic.com/e868gp.jpg

The ident was inexplicably offset, yet the logo never was. It smacked of inconsistency.

As others have said, by the time their contract ended both the ident and the GMB titles looked very dated; although it's understandable that there was little enthusiasm for change by that time.

However, they did create a much better introduction for the news segments (later adapted to show the SKY graphic). Something like this would have performed better as an ident. (Shown here at 1:00)

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
As others have said, by the time their contract ended both the ident and the GMB titles looked very dated; although it's understandable that there was little enthusiasm for change by that time.

But the titles and that watercolour ident was looking tired and past its best by 1988 at the latest, at that point it was five years old. The other ITV companies were moving to CGI created idents many of which have stood the test of time (the late 80s ones from Central in particular and the ITV Schools on Channel 4 look is one of the best presentation packages ever IMO). Surely somebody should have thought somewhere around 1987, this skydiver ident is old and crap let's think about replacing it. After October 1991, yeah okay I can understand the reluctance in doing something that's only going to be seen for 14 months. But prior to that? Like I said earlier, by 1992 it was like watching and being in an 80s time warp.
WH
Whataday Founding member
They did replace the ident around 1989:

WH
Whataday Founding member
There was also this ident (at start of the clip) used before certain programmes. Don't watch past 4 seconds unless you want an 80s induced seizure.

AN
Andrew Founding member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku_4CkRQarg

That would have looked so much better if there wasn't a jump between the ident and the start of the news titles which started with the same thing
ST
Stuart

I never realised they had done that. However, most of the late 1980s are somewhat of a blur, and I doubt I was ever awake (or still awake) at 6am to see it Wink

I do like that random grab of the network just a second or so before the end of the corporate ITV/LWT ident. Nice touch!

(PS: I know it wasn't "random", I was being sarcastic)
Last edited by Stuart on 21 October 2017 1:02am - 3 times in total

8 days later

OF
OF992
Programme title DOGs are unnecessary throughout the entire programme, and should only be shown at the start, end and before and after advert breaks if there is advert breaks.
DB
dbl
OF992 posted:
Programme title DOGs are unnecessary throughout the entire programme, and should only be shown at the start, end and before and after advert breaks if there is advert breaks.

In theory yes, but nowadays its all about branding your content (i.e. IT'S MINE!!) . Take GIFs on social media for example, spreads like wildfire. Especially ones sourced from a TV programme.

EDIT: Sorry I misread and missed 'programme'. If you mean the promo DOGs/BUGs throughout the show, then yeah its a bit annoying. But they're effective when done correctly.
Last edited by dbl on 28 October 2017 3:33pm
OR
orange
I think we have covered anything. Expect is there an actual dog being used as a dog Wink

In America (and previously UK i think, I’m not too sure)

Newer posts