The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
South Today
John posted:
An odd Inside Out tonight. Instead of the usual Jemma Woodman fronted edition, the SW got a BBC South production about the Great Storm presented by Michael Fish.

I believe it’s called cost cutting.

No it’s called marking the 30th anniversary of the 1987 Great Storm, and since the South, West, South West, London & The South East all suffered that storm, it makes perfect sense to make one single programme and share it between the affected regions, rather than each region doing their own thing.

BBC East and South East had their own editions presented by their usual presenters but Michael Fish presented a 10 minute feature.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
John posted:
An odd Inside Out tonight. Instead of the usual Jemma Woodman fronted edition, the SW got a BBC South production about the Great Storm presented by Michael Fish.

I believe it’s called cost cutting.

No it’s called marking the 30th anniversary of the 1987 Great Storm, and since the South, West, South West, London & The South East all suffered that storm, it makes perfect sense to make one single programme and share it between the affected regions, rather than each region doing their own thing.

Inside Out London didn't actually take this feature at all, which is odd, considering that London and the Home Counties were among the worst affected areas. However, BBC London News did do an item about the anniversary earlier in the evening.
PA
parrferris
I know that part of Dorset was hit badly, as I recall the storm largely missed the Westcountry. Certainly the first we knew about it in my part of Devon was when Donald Heighway came on air from Plymouth to hold the fort until the famous Nicholas Witchell Broom Cupboard broadcast appeared. We eventually had a much worse storm in 1990.
MA
Markymark
I know that part of Dorset was hit badly, as I recall the storm largely missed the Westcountry. Certainly the first we knew about it in my part of Devon was when Donald Heighway came on air from Plymouth to hold the fort until the famous Nicholas Witchell Broom Cupboard broadcast appeared. We eventually had a much worse storm in 1990.

East Dorset was badly hit, two firemen had their vehicle crushed by a tree and were killed.

You're right, the Jan 1990 storm was bad, and worse than the 87 one for the South West. Also hit S Wales badly, and hit during the day, not overnight as with 87. I noticed some of the footage used this week for 87, is actually from the 1990 storm, notably because it shows roofs being blown off in broad daylight
CI
cityprod

It didn't miss the westcountry at all, it actually went through overnight, was affecting Cornwall & Devon just after Midnight while most people slept and was hitting London before 6am, hence why Plymouth was able to come on just before 7am with the late great Donald Heighway in the small single camera studio, which I believe at this point was a self operated studio.

Great page about the storm from the Met Office website at https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/weather-phenomena/case-studies/great-storm
ST
South Today
I wonder if Mark Longhurst has now departed - the ITV Westcountry twitter page makes no reference to him like it did previously and it was was Jonty on duty last week.
EE
EdExcel
I wonder if Mark Longhurst has now departed - the ITV Westcountry twitter page makes no reference to him like it did previously and it was was Jonty on duty last week.

I think you'd be right to think that!
https://itv.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=170001V5&lang=en
AS
AlexS

See the previous page...
A job is normally posted shortly after the notice is handed in rather than when the employee has left
ST
South Today
AlexS posted:

See the previous page...
A job is normally posted shortly after the notice is handed in rather than when the employee has left

I agree but I think he has gone.
LS
Lou Scannon
ITV News West Country tonight is largely a pan-regional OB, with Kylie Pentelow live at Newquay Airport for the public test of the Bloodhound supersonic car. The team who developed the car are based at Avonmouth near Bristol.

There was a mid-programme "other news" round-up, with Jonty Messer in the studio, which was sub-regionally split. I think that the "HTV" version was the pre-recorded one.

EDIT: The programme proper was over by 18:28. A short montage of highlights of the day's events set to dramatic music ending with the standard "ITV News (c) ITV West Country" production endcap.

The (sub-regionally split) weather forecast was book-ended with the usual ITV News Weather stings and GWR sponsorship stings. We therefore went straight from the post-weather sting to the shot of Alistair Stewart at the start of the national news.
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 26 October 2017 6:36pm

21 days later

LL
London Lite Founding member
Alex Osborne did the weather live on CI, but David Braine was on the main Spotlight bulletin.
CI
cityprod
Alex Osborne did the weather live on CI, but David Braine was on the main Spotlight bulletin.

More notable was the fact they welcomed her to the team. Makes me wonder if she is becoming the regular forecaster for Channel Islands News.

Also makes me wonder if this is stage one in a process to separate Channel Islands News from Spotlight.

Newer posts