TV Home Forum

BBC axe Crimewatch

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TR
TROGGLES
It's an expensive programme to make and there is pressure on all resources. There is little slack in any channel budgets and not a great deal of flexible studio space to make it - unless its to come from an old trailer parked up in someone's car park as per the last series. Probably just best to let it die and reflect on the lack of money within the BBC to do anything like this.

The climate isn't on imagination or quality journalism & research it's for dramas and the like. Something the BBC can sell around the world to refill coffers.
BR
Brekkie
Guess Crimewatch joins a list of long running shows pointlessly revamped then axed about a year later.
MD
mdtauk
So the BBC are measuring the success or failure of Crimewatch in viewing figures, and not about how useful the calls are for the Police in investigating crimes?
rdobbie, DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
With the current interest in crime dramas and documentaries Crimewatch is exactly the sort of show broadcasters would be launching if it didn't already exist. I really wouldn't be surprised if ITV revive something along the lines of Most Wanted.
WH
Whataday Founding member
They're quite rightly getting a hammering for this decision. Seriously, these days it's as if the Corporation is on a death wish.
AN
Andrew Founding member
So the BBC are measuring the success or failure of Crimewatch in viewing figures, and not about how useful the calls are for the Police in investigating crimes?

Well indeed, and the ratings are not a true story anyway, as the BBC used to deliberately place it in the most difficult slots, so it'd appear opposite Broadchurch, opposite I'm a Celeb, it'd turn up during BGT week etc.

Unless tweets and Facebook posts start doing fully filmed reconstructions then social media can't fully replace the show.
BL
bluecortina
London used to have Crime Monthly, first with Paul Ross and then Penny Smith with a set which looked like a CID office.

Studio 10 in the tower block. Which earlier in the day had produced Business Daily, 6 O'Clock live, LWT News after NAT and then Crime monthly. The link provided earlier is to a special one off documentary, it wasn't usually that format.
LL
London Lite Founding member
London used to have Crime Monthly, first with Paul Ross and then Penny Smith with a set which looked like a CID office.

Studio 10 in the tower block. Which earlier in the day had produced Business Daily, 6 O'Clock live, LWT News after NAT and then Crime monthly. The link provided earlier is to a special one off documentary, it wasn't usually that format.

Crime Monthly with Penny Smith using the normal Crimewatch esque format.

BR
Brekkie
Granada used to have Crime File as well.
LO
lobster
I remember fondly being allowed to stay up late to see crime watch as a child. In those days (late 80s) there was a real urgency to the programme.

Last time I watched crime watch there was so much fannying about, pressing buttons on screens to make things whizz around and other pointless gimmicks, when they started broadcasting from a shed outside, I gave up completely. Shame, but a sign of the times.
DJ
DJ Dave
I liked it when Kirsty did it and when Sian did it about once, I thought she would be a good replacement, however that last run of it was awful, I bet poor Nick was having nightmares!

I do agree they should have gone back to basics.
TR
trivialmatters
Surely Crimewatch would have been a very cheap programme to produce. It's mainly blurry reconstruction shots and interviews with the police, with links from a studio.

Newer posts