TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
The upstairs did magically gain an extra window on the move to Mediacity as well.

That was no less believable than Ashley & Maxine's stairs moving to the opposite side of the room overnight, without either of them actually commenting on it.

Don't forget the Rovers having its big refurb at the start of 2008 complete with new ugly wallpaper... which itself also changed overnight without explanation a few months later.
BR
Brekkie
One of the real issues with it, that's the case with far too many soap storylines, is that it's gone on for too long. Far too long. And it's not even over yet, and god knows how much is left to run.

Far too long in soapworld seems to be about three weeks, and guess it's really not helped by airing six times a week. In the real world such events have been known to unfold over years, even decades.
JE
Jez Founding member
The last time the Select was seen was Alf and Audreys wedding, 23rd December 1985. Im loving the 1986 episodes, we are into April 1986 already. The storylines and characters are all really good. Nice to see an appearance of Peter Barlow in the last few episodes, I preferred this Peter to the womanising bigamist he became later on!
JA
james-2001
One thing I've really been noticing with these repeats is how much smearing there often is on movement. I know it's a side-effect of the old tubed cameras, but it seems more pronounced than I've seen on a lot of other stuff from the time. I wonder if any up/downscaling from HD (as I'm recording from the SD channel as it uses less PVR space) exaggerates it? There seems to be momentary bits where the picture looks "filmic" too which I imagine could be up/downscaling equipment that detects if the picture is 25p or 50i, but sometimes treats 50i as 25p, especially when there's not much movement.
MA
Markymark
One thing I've really been noticing with these repeats is how much smearing there often is on movement. I know it's a side-effect of the old tubed cameras, but it seems more pronounced than I've seen on a lot of other stuff from the time. I wonder if any up/downscaling from HD (as I'm recording from the SD channel as it uses less PVR space) exaggerates it? There seems to be momentary bits where the picture looks "filmic" too which I imagine could be up/downscaling equipment that detects if the picture is 25p or 50i, but sometimes treats 50i as 25p, especially when there's not much movement.

I've seen the effect you've described with over zealous use of digital noise reducers. Noise is bad news for emission level encoding ( aka Freeview, Sky, Freesat transmission) because it soaks up a lot of encoding overhead. So if you can reduce the noise, and any PAL artefacts before transmission all the better. Done well, it can look really good ( eg TOTP repeats on BBC4) but overdo it, and you end up with weird and random motion artefacts, and a foggy look
IT
IndigoTucker
That was no less believable than Ashley & Maxine's stairs moving to the opposite side of the room overnight, without either of them actually commenting on it.

I remember that, ITV said nothing that moved at all, just a different camera angle, which was a blatant lie. I believe it was to facilitate the shooting of the fire set by the crazed stalker of Ashley, played by Rhona from Emmerdale.
ST
Stuart

I remember that, ITV said nothing that moved at all, just a different camera angle, which was a blatant lie. I believe it was to facilitate the shooting of the fire set by the crazed stalker of Ashley, played by Rhona from Emmerdale.

Emmerdale were guilty of the same "staircase shifting" in Debbie Dingle's home at the time.

I'm fairly certain that I'd comment on a complete reconfiguration of my home, especially having to find a new way to the lower floor in the morning that was opposite to the way I had gone to bed the night before. Laughing

But this is all fantasy anyway. Laughing
JA
james-2001

I've seen the effect you've described with over zealous use of digital noise reducers. Noise is bad news for emission level encoding ( aka Freeview, Sky, Freesat transmission) because it soaks up a lot of encoding overhead. So if you can reduce the noise, and any PAL artefacts before transmission all the better. Done well, it can look really good ( eg TOTP repeats on BBC4) but overdo it, and you end up with weird and random motion artefacts, and a foggy look

I figured it was probably some sort of digital processing, not seen stuff look quite that bad before.
JA
james-2001
Electroncially generated Granada caption at the end of today's second episode, first we've seen this run I think. End credits still on a roller though!
JB
JasonB

Emmerdale were guilty of the same "staircase shifting" in Debbie Dingle's home at the time.

I'm fairly certain that I'd comment on a complete reconfiguration of my home, especially having to find a new way to the lower floor in the morning that was opposite to the way I had gone to bed the night before. Laughing

But this is all fantasy anyway. Laughing

I remember #debbiesstairs or something like that trending on twitter as it happened too.
JA
james-2001
Electronically generated credits now on today's second episode (26/5/86), they look a bit iffy though!
IS
Inspector Sands
It's strange seeing the Rovers in pre-86 episodes and wondering how the hell the Select fitted in there, it should have extended all across Rosamund Street and then some considering how big it was. After the fire when they supposedly knocked all three bars into one it was still only the same size as the combined public & snug, the space the select was in just vanished!

Even then it's still too big for the building, how does the living room and kitchen fit into the downstairs? And of course there's the toilets that should be in Ken's front room.

Yes it never made sense. Corrie.net has drawings of the layout of the Rovers before and after the fire here

Newer posts