TV Home Forum

BBC axe Crimewatch

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
What was the deal with Steve Scott? and Night watch?
GM
GMc
What was the deal with Steve Scott? and Night watch?

Wasn't that just old regional ITV programme VTs put together with Steve Scott linking to them?
LL
London Lite Founding member
London used to have Crime Monthly, first with Paul Ross and then Penny Smith with a set which looked like a CID office.

NW
nwtv2003

I can't see ITV picking up the format, or creating something similar, unless they could get away with charging people to call a premium rate phone line with information, and that wouldn't be in the spirit of providing a public service.

They did try a similar thing back in the 90s, a one off show, with a very bored looking Penny Smith as the presenter. LWT I think, and it was 9pm on a Friday ?

That was Britain’s Most Wanted, you are right it was fronted by Penny Smith and Dermot Murngahan at LWT, had a great theme tune as I recall.

Granada used to have Crime File that used to air regularly, that was certainly more like Crimewatch than Britain’s Most Wanted.
DJ Dave, DE88 and Markymark gave kudos
DE
deejay
I think ITV regions' most famous reconstruction programme is perhaps Police 5 presented by Shaw Taylor. Here's a TVS edition from 1992:

Keep 'em peeled.
MA
Markymark
I think ITV regions' most famous reconstruction programme is perhaps Police 5 presented by Shaw Taylor.

Keep 'em peeled.

Well indeed. For those of us of a certain age BBC Crimewatch was merely an attempt by the Beeb to muscle in on that 'genre'.
A former member
All I remember is atv/central, lwt and tvs
having police 5 while scottish had crime desk.

Did the other itv areas have a crime programmes?
JA
JAS84
:
they should never have relaunched with that terrible new format.
So true. They also shouldn't have scheduled it opposite Broadchurch!

It'd be great if ITV could do something similar and show the BBC what they did wrong.
LL
Larry the Loafer
To think Peter Kay's routine about Crimewatch would eventually make sense.

"I don't watch Crimewatch anymore. It's not as good as it used to be."
NT
NorthTonight

Grampian had the very imaginatively titled " Police News "
A former member

Grampian had the very imaginatively titled " Police News "

When did that last until?
IS
Inspector Sands
Also, why do TV companies put out statements saying popular programmes have been AXED. Why not just silently drop it? Would anybody even have noticed if it didn't return?

They never say anything's 'axed' that's a tabloid term. If a newspaper publishes a story about a programme ending then why wouldn't the banner concerned announce it officially, especially one as high profile as Crimewatch

It would be difficult to cancel a programme like Crimewatch and hope no-one noticed. For a start how would the BBC get everyone involved in the programme not to tell anyone else that it wasn't happening any more?

Newer posts