Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Tells us that Playdays was made at Capital studios, then!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Or at least edited there
BA
bilky asko
Councillor David Boothroyd has done it again - this time, with Vote 99: Europe Decides. You can see a couple of the changes from 1997 that make it to the 2001 General Election coverage, as well as some interesting graphical issues early on.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4
:-(
A former member
Many of the clips come from another youtube channel if you know anything. Razz
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
First ever episode of Weakest Link from 2000 featuring gimmicks that were later dropped such as the format of the final round and the irksome way its questions were asked and the presence of Robinson during the voting bits.

VM
VMPhil
Something very subtle that was also dropped later on is the word 'The' in the opening titles.
MY
MY83
Other changes over the series' run:

Voting boards became blue, not white/gray
Addition of neon lights to the podium name boards

IIRC the change from "The Weakest Link" to "Weakest Link" came around about the time of the celebrity specials / the American series.
JA
james-2001
I have a recording of an episode from February 2001 which one of my teachers appeared on, and it was just "Weakest Link" in the titles by then.
RO
rob Founding member
MY83 posted:
Other changes over the series' run:

Voting boards became blue, not white/gray
Addition of neon lights to the podium name boards

IIRC the change from "The Weakest Link" to "Weakest Link" came around about the time of the celebrity specials / the American series.

They dropped the 'the' when they started doing the Champions League episodes, which were the first to feature a studio audience.
DE
DE88
A glance at BBC Genome reveals that the first Champions League episode aired on 31 October 2000.

The 'Link was barely eleven weeks old at that point. In contrast, Pointless took two years to make its way to primetime BBC1...

I believe the first Champions League episode was also the first to feature the familiar head-to-head stings, including the ascending four-note sting at the start and the descending one immediately preceding the first question. It took until August 2001 for these stings to make their way to the daytime version, however - here's a daytime episode from May with the original stings, as well as the original chain design with no pound symbols in front of the amounts below £1,000:

VM
VMPhil
They also stopped putting the footage of the contestants chatting before the show starts in a black and white filter by the end as well.
VM
VMPhil
Here's a YouTube video that was uploaded by someone else, but deleted years ago. I saved it from the great recycling bin in the cloud, mainly because Dick's reaction to something Dom does (funny in itself) is hilarious.

Larry the Loafer and MrDexB gave kudos

Newer posts