The Newsroom

Hurricane Ophelia

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
SCBNI
Special announcement on BBC One NI tonight...

Last edited by SCBNI on 16 October 2017 12:15pm
RD
RDJ
There's something wrong with that picture.... I just can't quite put my finger on it.
GE
Gareth E
Special announcement on BBC One NI tonight...

That's the position your TV will be in tomorrow afternoon Smile

RTE have also had a similar strap appearing this evening.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Watching in Australia?
TheLuigi755 and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
A quite unusual caption used in the junction after MOTD2 with info on the school closures, totally devoid of any branding at all. (iPlayer rewind unavailable because the film currently being shown can't be streamed live)

BBC Two managed this:

Julian would have been in his element on UTV with this news!
GE
Gareth E
As mentioned by StevieB in the BBC One thread, BBC One NI have been displaying an information strap this evening regarding school closures tomorrow.

In the south, which is under the highest weather alert, it seems that the Emergency Broadcast System has been activated by the BAI (Broadcast Authority of Ireland) with on-screen information appearing on RTE and TV3 (caps in the thread of this tweet)

That's pretty unprecedented. It'll be interesting to see how the Irish networks - north and south - cover this tomorrow. Certainly a major news event over here.
MO
Mouseboy33
How about getting some Irish (if possible) screencaps of this, as its unprecedented.
SC
SCBNI
Odd! It’s showing the right way up on my phone!
TL
toby lerone 2016
The announcement of the school closures around Northern Ireland by the Department of Education wasn't until after the news therefore this appeared during MOTD2. This is the best image I could find and it's not my twitter.

MO
Mouseboy33
Looking at RTE News Now, its currently showing euroNews as per normal. Wasnt expecting rolling coverage, that would be unusual. Since Ophelia is supposed to be unprecedented, It will be interesting to see if any specific information will shown on the channel. Specific road closures, damage reports, or need to know information like shelters etc. This has been a nutty Hurricane Season. Hopefully everything will be OK. Thumbs up
LL
London Lite Founding member
How about getting some Irish (if possible) screencaps of this, as its unprecedented.

I have access for RTÉ (including News Now), TV3, be3 for their main bulletins.

TV3's 5.30 bulletin was largely about Ophelia using two reporters, one at Met Eireann and another in Dublin building up to the storm.
BK
bkman1990
This from Joanna Donnelly after she did her live weather forecast special for the RTÉ Player.

Newer posts