« Topics
MMcG198397 posts since 14 Dec 2014
UTV Newsline
Bit of a continuity hash handing over to the BBC News Channel early this morning on BBC1 Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoXHco9vB4c

Whenever I record samples of BBC Scotland continuity, a typical day usually includes a good selection of cock-ups. Announcements crashing into the top of programmes is a common one. I have recorded and viewed hundreds of examples of Scottish continuity in recent years and such screw-ups are much more frequent than they ought to be.

The example you posted is one of the worst I've seen though. The mind boggles. Clearly erased from memory all record of having introduced the weather just a few minutes ago. Bizarre.
Jeffmister, Austin Tatious and 3 others
  • BBCME
  • Cavan
  • D.Page
gave kudos
D.Page1,273 posts since 30 Oct 2013
London London
Bit of a continuity hash handing over to the BBC News Channel early this morning on BBC1 Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoXHco9vB4c

Whenever I record samples of BBC Scotland continuity, a typical day usually includes a good selection of cock-ups. Announcements crashing into the top of programmes is a common one. I have recorded and viewed hundreds of examples of Scottish continuity in recent years and such screw-ups are much more frequent than they ought to be.

The example you posted is one of the worst I've seen though. The mind boggles. Clearly erased from memory all record of having introduced the weather just a few minutes ago. Bizarre.

As if crashing into Network's continuity part way into the junction and airing two idents wasn't bad enough. When the female announcer realised she was not going to hand over to the weather bulletin and, instead, hand over to the News Channel, wouldn't it have just been better to have said something like "...apologies, my mistake. We now hand you over to the News Channel...", rather than just not mention it at all, and hope that most people will be too tired to have been concentrating on what she had said moments before?
MMcG198397 posts since 14 Dec 2014
UTV Newsline
Whoops the wrong script I see Razz I still think there's a problem with the Central computer system in Glasgow.

From the evidence I've seen, I'd say the majority of the problems concerning BBC Scotland continuity are operator-related, rather than technology-related. I certainly wouldn't tar everyone in that dept with the same brush. I'd say the guilty parties are in the minority here. I've seen plenty of on-air evidence at this stage and there are patterns, which enable me to quite accurately predict when errors are more likely to occur, shall we say.
Last edited by MMcG198 on 15 October 2017 3:24pm - 2 times in total
Wicko1,446 posts since 3 Dec 2003
Meridian (South) South Today
October 18th, no new Oneness masterpiece thus far this month. So can we hope that the set is complete and are on the verge of being binned? Will we be full of glumness come December when the chap with the beard shouts out "Boom" whilst pointing to a flashing reindeer nose on his jumper in a repeat of last years ident package?
If we only get one life, why does it take several attempts to get it right?
Austin Tatious and Jay Lee gave kudos
dbl8,483 posts since 11 Jun 2004
London London
October 18th, no new Oneness masterpiece thus far this month. So can we hope that the set is complete and are on the verge of being binned? Will we be full of glumness come December when the chap with the beard shouts out "Boom" whilst pointing to a flashing reindeer nose on his jumper in a repeat of last years ident package?

It hasn't been nominated or put in a category for this year's Promax BDA Awards. Speaks volumes.

(Because usually with a channel refresh, especially from a big broadcaster, they would want to flaunt it for all it's worth.)
DE88, ShinyDave and 2 others
  • MetalGearRex
  • Austin Tatious
gave kudos
MetalGearRex1,236 posts since 11 May 2016
London London

It hasn't been nominated or put in a category for this year's Promax BDA Awards. Speaks volumes.

(Because usually with a channel refresh, especially from a big broadcaster, they would want to flaunt it for all it's worth.)

On the bright side, BBC FOUR’s music idents were nominated, at least. And they were actually good, for a start. Along with many of the marketing campaigns for shows including Planet Earth II and One Deadly Weekend in America. BBC Sport’s revamp has also been nominated for Best TV identity. Deserves it to be fair, it was great.

I don’t think I’m surprised about Oneness - considering how awful the package is, I wouldn’t have expected to see it get nominated.

The rest of this year will be telling, especially if nothing comes out in October, or November.
'How dare they put that on against us! How dare they do that! Kill Yentob!' - Martyn Lewis
DE88 gave kudos
Wicko1,446 posts since 3 Dec 2003
Meridian (South) South Today
I suspect the question is not "will Oneness survive into 2018?" but "will it be replaced by something new, or the return of the circles?"

(I'm presuming circles.)

I have an inkling the circles will return. Without any comment at all. On New Year's Day at around 1am, I suspect we'll all be sat around on here in excitement and anticipation but will quickly descend into major disappointment as 1 of 2 two things will happen:

1) Exercise Class and Swimmers makes a reappearance to confirm our fears that Oneness will continue beyond the New Year or
2) Without fanfare or comment, Neon relaunches the circles packages to help us put out of our minds the entire pres pack of 2017 - like it never existed. And, circles will continue until Easter when BBC1 and BBC2 get a total overhaul.
If we only get one life, why does it take several attempts to get it right?
Stuart, DE88 and Austin Tatious gave kudos