TV Home Forum

Sky Sports Revamp

Now on air (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
They are not bothered about Sky+ HD they just want everyone on a Sky q box with a wideband lnb so you can’t use your own box.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I'm not sure how it works on SkyQ, presumably the same, but to replace the logo on Sky+HD requires an entire new software update, its obviously not a priority thing otherwise it would have been changed by now I'd have thought.

Presumably Sky+HD is now effectively relegated to playing second fiddle to SkyQ, much like the older Sky boxes play second fiddle to Sky+HD in the update stakes. Any updates they get are just to keep them working when Sky change the configuration of things behind the scenes. I suppose in an ideal world they'd just want to force everybody onto SkyQ come what may which would save them the bother of supporting the legacy boxes but obviously that runs the risk of pushing the churn rate through the roof and also it'd be quite an expensive operation what with the boxes and the new LNBs needed.
DV
dvboy
The latest update has got rid of the offline search by category, which was probably little used anyway as you can't use it when connected to Wi-Fi, but was useful for finding content hidden behind Sky's red button.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Is this the first time Main Event has shown something that's not on one of the other channels? It was showing the Scotland game while Sky Sports Football had Northern Ireland with other qualifiers under the red button.
MY
MY83
Sound quality on the comms on England "highlights" is appalling. Telephone quality almost.
BR
Brekkie
It was due to be on SS Mix I think but seems to have been replaced by the darts.

Notice on Saturday due to Action showing live boxing that they're showing the Super League Grand Final and Grand Prix Final on both Arena and Main Event, with coverage of the Super League Final ending half an hour earlier on Main Event than it does on Action. SS Mix also broadcasts the darts, again beginning half an hour earlier than the Arena channel.
IT
Ittr
I'm not sure how it works on SkyQ, presumably the same, but to replace the logo on Sky+HD requires an entire new software update, its obviously not a priority thing otherwise it would have been changed by now I'd have thought.

Presumably Sky+HD is now effectively relegated to playing second fiddle to SkyQ, much like the older Sky boxes play second fiddle to Sky+HD in the update stakes. Any updates they get are just to keep them working when Sky change the configuration of things behind the scenes. I suppose in an ideal world they'd just want to force everybody onto SkyQ come what may which would save them the bother of supporting the legacy boxes but obviously that runs the risk of pushing the churn rate through the roof and also it'd be quite an expensive operation what with the boxes and the new LNBs needed.

They changed it on Q already so yeah probably not a high priority
PF
PFML84
Does it really require a software update to update the logo? I’m pretty sure they changed the logo of Channel 5’s catch up service from Demand 5 to just “Channel 5” during the day. They didn’t even update the description which still refers to 5 STAR as 5*.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
On Demand is an entirely different thing, the rebrand to ITV Hub from ITV Player happened overnight with no software update. It's more dynamic, otherwise you'd have to have a new update for every new launch of a service in the Catch Up section. The main Sky logo that floats about at the top of the screen seems to need a software update to change its position (it used to be on the left when they had the nifty icon carousel arrangement) so presumably it's not just a case of squirting a new file down the satellite for it and an update would be needed to change it.

22 days later

YG
Yandere Gaming
The Kankook sponsorship sting for Sky Sports News still refers the channel to its previous name, "Sky Sports News HQ"... Rolling Eyes
PF
PFML84
Sky were quick to update the image on the home screen for catch up to reflect the new Sky One/Living/Atlantic logos but they forgot the TV guide one that still lists 106 as "Sky1 HD". I wonder if they will ever change that? As channel 5 is in HD on 105 now for everyone I wonder if will they will include that, or do they just want to show off their own channels as having HD versions?
KU
Kunst
The Sky online TV guide lists Sky One as "Sky One (HD)", so I doubt this hasn't happened also on the EPG proper.. maybe it's your box's fault?

Newer posts