« Topics
Jez10,798 posts since 7 May 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Going back to current day Corrie and I did like the final scene with Rita looking at the (very quiet) street and saying they had been through a lot together. I do hope Barbara Knox isn't leaving the show, although would be understandable if she wanted to retire.

I thought maybe a flashback of some of Rita's storylines would have been appropriate as she was looking down the street.
DE88, Ben Shatliff and Nicky gave kudos
Brekkie31,225 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
The episodes aired so far have featured young Jenny Bradley and her father Alan, who as we know became a villain and violently attacked Rita. I'd guess it's only a matter of time before that particular episode shows up on ITV3. Given that when current day soap episodes that might feature violent or upsetting/distressing scenes, their often preceded by a content warning by the CA.

I wonder if the ITV3 airing of that episode is preceded with a similar warning rather than the generic introduction these old episodes are currently getting. As I recall, Rita's injuries from Alan's attack were quite graphic for a pre-watershed drama at the time.

It's the one moment I remember being quite traumatised by as a kid and probably an episode I'd actively avoid. If it was something like Murder She Wrote it's the sort of episode they'd end up screening in the middle of the night, but can't really do that with a soap. I suspect it'll remain in daytime, perhaps with slight edits, but wouldn't hurt to give the odd episode a late-primetime airing - or run the odd theme night with selected eps too.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
james-20014,725 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Wasn't the video freeze to cover up the removal of the Granada graphic at the start? Obviously the theme music began playing over the top of that, so once it was removed, and the theme music was playing over the first frame of the title sequence instead, the whole sequence would be a couple of seconds out of sync.

That seems possible, I wonder why they'd need to edit to cover up a videotape fault when surely all they'd need to do is make a new transfer from the film, or pull a damage free video copy from elsewhere (even taking them from an old episode).

Funnily enough I did that when digitising my home videos- one had a scratch through a portion of it, so I took that portion from another copy (although it was a generation down), and grafted it over the scratched bit. In fact I did a fair bit of having to mix 1st and second generation footage, due to Video8 tapes being partly re-used, and their quality was much higher than the VHS dubs, so using the 1st gen footage where I could and cutting in the 2nd gen VHS where I couldn't.
Last edited by james-2001 on 3 October 2017 7:20pm
Si-Co2,082 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I’ve watched a few random title sequences from the late 80s G+ recordings, and I have to say neither the video scratch effect or the freeze frame was apparent. Can anyone post examples?

One thing about the title sequence from 1988 onwards - although the music was re-edited to start after the Granada logo had cross-faded into the titles, the Granada frontcap was still present on the tapes, as YTV tended to show it. I’m not sure when it was removed - perhaps not until the 1990 titles made their debut.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
BillyH1,307 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
It's the shot after the one with the cat - I can't find the full archive right now, but the scratch appears around early 1989 and the freeze to cover it later that year.

Closest I can find before and after are this one from August 1988, about ten seconds in (no major scratch visible yet) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TpdImJps2w

And May 1989, by which time the freeze has been added - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFLYs0mnODk
Member since 26 May 2001
rdobbie, DE88 and 2 others
  • Si-Co
  • james-2001
gave kudos
nwtv20038,340 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
Have they randomly selected episodes or are they showing them in order? Only because the repeat I am watching now on ITV3 appears to be Sally’s first appearance. Either that or ITV have picked a very good year to start with.

It’s weird seeing Alan and Rita acknowledge each other as Mr Bradley and Mrs Fairclough...
steve
steviegTVreturns
Ben Shatliff1,021 posts since 30 Aug 2003
Granada North West Today
Going back to current day Corrie and I did like the final scene with Rita looking at the (very quiet) street and saying they had been through a lot together. I do hope Barbara Knox isn't leaving the show, although would be understandable if she wanted to retire.

I thought maybe a flashback of some of Rita's storylines would have been appropriate as she was looking down the street.

I thought it was very good too the way they did that.

I for one would be very upset if Barbara Knox is leaving the show as Rita is one of my favourite characters.

I do wonder where this story is going as either option could be a farewell.

Let’s hope her character of Rita has the operation all is well and she decides to stay in weatherfield and not sell to dodgy Colin.
www.benjaminfshatliff.com

Ben Shatliff Online - There to help you
SquidgyAdam42 posts since 22 May 2015
Granada North West Today
Have they randomly selected episodes or are they showing them in order? Only because the repeat I am watching now on ITV3 appears to be Sally’s first appearance. Either that or ITV have picked a very good year to start with.

It’s weird seeing Alan and Rita acknowledge each other as Mr Bradley and Mrs Fairclough...

It's been four episodes in chronological order so far, with the synopses for the next few days match with the next few epsidoes too.
JasonB5,021 posts since 20 Sep 2003
London London
I saw this on Mondays episode and just wanted to ask. Rita has sliding doors going in to the lounge room in her house and another wooden door next to them that looks like it leads in to nothing?
"623058 The whole thing has been a dump squirt."
Whataday9,853 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
I saw this on Mondays episode and just wanted to ask. Rita has sliding doors going in to the lounge room in her house and another wooden door next to them that looks like it leads in to nothing?

In 2017 or 1986?

Perhaps an idea for a mod to split the thread as it could become very difficult to follow.
UBox gave kudos
Yes she did. How do I Remeber that..