The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
South Today
Fred returns on Monday. There was a brief mention at the end of tonight's programme.

24 days later

KE
kernow
Meridian Tonight's Facebook page has just been renamed ITV News Meridian. I believe this was the only ITV plc region which was still using their old name.

They did well to make the Meridian Tonight name last so long after the rebrand (nearly 5 years). I wouldn't be surprised if this is a change which was forced upon them by ITV.

On a related note, I also noticed that BBC South Today's Facebook page was renamed as "BBC South News" the other day.
LS
Lou Scannon
BBC South Today's Facebook page was renamed as "BBC South News" the other day.

Why? Rolling Eyes

And the logo for it is a crime against humanity.
JA
JAS84
At least that should be short lived, due to the fact they'll probably be updating everything with the Reith font soon.
DE88 and Lou Scannon gave kudos
ST
South Today
Holly Green made her debut on tonight's main edition alongside Fred and Stacey.
ME
meridiantvfan
Just discovered the awful Simon Parkin has 'left the building' at last !!!! and has been replaced by the rather nice jolly Holly' as Fred calls her.. She's not Jolly Gemma but somewhat better to look and listen to than that kids tv presenter that's for sure !

Anyone know if we will ever get the South Merdian feed in HD btw ? Also watching today I see both regions don't 'join up' to live after 15 mins anymore. Wheh did they stop this ? So it seems now BOTH editions are fully pre recorded ?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
She's not Jolly Gemma but somewhat better to look and listen to than that kids tv presenter that's for sure !

You mean that bloke off How2?
LL
London Lite Founding member

Anyone know if we will ever get the South Merdian feed in HD btw ? Also watching today I see both regions don't 'join up' to live after 15 mins anymore. Wheh did they stop this ? So it seems now BOTH editions are fully pre recorded ?

No, one is still live and the other is pre-rec. There is also a 10 minute sub-opt pre-rec for the Thames Valley which then joins the West bulletin. (Hannington and Oxford)

Meridian has an unusual sub-opt set up with Whitehawk Hill having the West bulletin with East ads, then Thames Valley with the split for part of the bulletin and then West and East.
TV
TVEngineer
Just discovered the awful Simon Parkin has 'left the building' at last !!!! and has been replaced by the rather nice jolly Holly' as Fred calls her.. She's not Jolly Gemma but somewhat better to look and listen to than that kids tv presenter that's for sure !

How sad we still have people thinking it's acceptable that presenters are rated based on whether they have tits or not. It's bad enough all these screengrab sites where people get slightly aroused the moment someone female shows a little leg rather than journalistic ability but to spell it out like that? Congratulations MeridianTVFan, you're the dinosaur we all hoped had died out.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'm surprised 'meridiantvfan' hasn't seen Holly on South Today, when she did the shared weather duty with Points West and Spotlight from Plymouth, so no stranger to the region.
ME
meridiantvfan
I'm surprised 'meridiantvfan' hasn't seen Holly on South Today, when she did the shared weather duty with Points West and Spotlight from Plymouth, so no stranger to the region.

I never watch south today or any BBC news, yes so I see she left spolight a few weeks back , but it's not the same. Merdian Tonight with Fred has a nice family / comradery / friendly atmosphere about it...he knows how to birng out the best in people...
Last edited by meridiantvfan on 4 October 2017 2:52pm
ME
meridiantvfan

How sad we still have people thinking it's acceptable that presenters are rated based on whether they have tits or not. It's bad enough all these screengrab sites where people get slightly aroused the moment someone female shows a little leg rather than journalistic ability but to spell it out like that? Congratulations MeridianTVFan, you're the dinosaur we all hoped had died out.

Parkin was / is not a tranined meterolgist just an ex kids tv bafoon who bizarrely and amazingly got a job as a weather presenter. imo he had no presense no personality no sense of humour with his voice being the most annoying thing about him... so after way too long he has thankfully been replaced with Holly, you have to agree she is good at her job and has a nice confident personality without any arragance either. It's great to see someone like this again... the weather chats are once again bareable !

Newer posts