TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
Wicko posted:

No - I'm talking about a decent standard of pronunciation in a professional broadcast environment. Thanks for your contribution.

It's part of his regional accent. In his accent the pronunciation is correct - there's no need to hold him to a prestige accent whose full use has almost completely died out.

I'm pretty sure every part of the UK use th to start the letter three and not f and regional accents doesn't equate to laziness when you want a job with the UK's most prestigious broadcaster. I think the continuity announcer in question sounds aggressive and uninviting. There is a lady with a Newcastle accent who introduces things in a regional accent, yet she pronounces things properly and comes across as warm and friendly at the same time.

You might be pretty sure, but you're wrong.
WI
Wicko
Times change. 20 years ago regional accents seemed to be banned on regional news programmes - compare Gaynor Barnes and Christine Talbot from 1994 with how they speak on air today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWi3VWpz74g

Interesting. Regional accents are nice to hear. It creates diversity. But even though these announcers speak with a regional accent, they are still clear with their pronunciation and sound welcoming and friendly.

The continuity announcer in Question might as well say "Now, we get dan wiv kids bro as we have a frilling frill at free wiv de movie of frow away lines which 'as bin on free fousand times but is better dan uvver movies init!"
Last edited by Wicko on 2 October 2017 8:27am
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I might have muddied the waters a bit here - turns out neither Gaynor nor Christine are originally from Yorkshire, so the change may just be picking up the accent through living and working here.

But exaggerated "posh" accents seemed to be the thing up here - as Sue Wilkins demonstrates while slightly cocking up the self op at the Beeb

When you think of some of the legends of regional news, would you say Mike Neville had a Geordie accent? Richard Whiteley a Yorkshire accent?
SP
Spencer
Times change. 20 years ago regional accents seemed to be banned on regional news programmes - compare Gaynor Barnes and Christine Talbot from 1994 with how they speak on air today

There were some odd policies on pronunciation at YTV back in the day. A former continuity announcer told me that they were under instruction to pronounce words like 'bath' and 'grass' with the southern pronunciation of 'barth' and 'grarss'.

Conversely at one point, it was suggested that they should put on Geordie accents when doing Tyne Tees announcements - thankfully most refused on the basis that it might just sound like they were taking the p*ss. However, I'm sure I remember once seeing Jon Mitchell covering the Tyne Tees weather at one point with a distinct north-east accent.
SC
Si-Co

There were some odd policies on pronunciation at YTV back in the day. A former continuity announcer told me that they were under instruction to pronounce words like 'bath' and 'grass' with the southern pronunciation of 'barth' and 'grarss'.

Conversely at one point, it was suggested that they should put on Geordie accents when doing Tyne Tees announcements - thankfully most refused on the basis that it might just sound like they were taking the p*ss. However, I'm sure I remember once seeing Jon Mitchell covering the Tyne Tees weather at one point with a distinct north-east accent.

I don’t think announcers talking with a destinctive Tyneside accent would have sounded right on Tyne Tees at all - for a start, the franchise area also covered North Northumberland, Co Durham, Wearside, Teesside and North Yorkshire - areas which all had accents quite different from “Geordie”. Many of the announcers were Geordies, and their “real life” accents were much broader than their “tv voices”, which while still noticeably local, were somewhat refined, but not the RP-like voices heard on YTV. This suited the tone of the station - friendly but still professional.
Steve in Pudsey, Larry the Loafer and Spencer gave kudos
WI
Wicko
Wicko posted:

It's part of his regional accent. In his accent the pronunciation is correct - there's no need to hold him to a prestige accent whose full use has almost completely died out.

I'm pretty sure every part of the UK use th to start the letter three and not f and regional accents doesn't equate to laziness when you want a job with the UK's most prestigious broadcaster. I think the continuity announcer in question sounds aggressive and uninviting. There is a lady with a Newcastle accent who introduces things in a regional accent, yet she pronounces things properly and comes across as warm and friendly at the same time.

You might be pretty sure, but you're wrong.

Are you in possession of an alternative English language that spells "three" with a f rather than th? I'm not just sure, in fact I am right, that all of us were taught and are capable of pronouncing words correctly if need be. Regional or otherwise. I have an oo arr Berkshire accent. But when I speak on the phone at work, in order for people to understand me, I have a professional accent because I am aware that my job involves me having to communicate with people. I think that is the point you are missing. Anyway, I don't want to cause any ill feeling or arguments over something as basic as "you say neever and I say neither", so I'll leave it there.
LO
lobster
have they given up on oneness? haven't spotted any new idents for at least a couple of months... or have i not been watching closely enough?
RE
Rex
have they given up on oneness? haven't spotted any new idents for at least a couple of months... or have i not been watching closely enough?

There were new idents that debuted across the summer (Tenpin Bowlers, Fell Runners, Llama Trekkers), but equally, there’s idents that never went beyond the drawing board at W12 (Tennis ident for Wimbledon and Dancing Class were teased, but never came to fruition).

September had none debut yet, and I won’t be surprised if this month doesn’t have a Oneness ident to make its debut, unless Wild Campers does get shown.
RO
Rory
Just spotted an Apprentice sting featuring Alan Sugar drawing the O in One before The One Show.
AG
AxG
WI
Wicko
Just spotted an Apprentice sting featuring Alan Sugar drawing the O in One before The One Show.

I may be mistaken, but I'm sure they used that last year. There'll be one with Karen and Claude too.
Last edited by Wicko on 4 October 2017 8:21pm
:-(
A former member
Wicko posted:

I may be mistaken, but I'm sure they used that last year. There'll be on with Karen and Claude too.

Correct.

Newer posts