TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Man, when you think that ident was probably made sometime in 1990 and it’s still on the air and being updated for special events like this. I don’t think the people who originally came up with the idea of a can of paint dropped on a sideways ‘2’ thought it would have that much longevity.
:-(
A former member
Maybe if the bbc asked those people to create a new set of idents maybe we wouldn't need to go back to them 😉
MM
MMcG198
I don’t think the people who originally came up with the idea of a can of paint dropped on a sideways ‘2’ thought it would have that much longevity.

Yeah - and they're not the only ones! Churning out old idents is a bit bloody boring now. I still can't comprehend why those wonderful "Arts" idents are confined to Saturday nights - there's a wealth of ideas and creativity there that could be expanded upon. On the one hand they claim poverty and dust off idents that are over 25 years old and on the other, they splash out on great looking sequences and restrict them to a niche slot on Saturdays. The logic?!
JO
Jonny
I don’t think the people who originally came up with the idea of a can of paint dropped on a sideways ‘2’ thought it would have that much longevity.

Yeah - and they're not the only ones! Churning out old idents is a bit bloody boring now. I still can't comprehend why those wonderful "Arts" idents are confined to Saturday nights - there's a wealth of ideas and creativity there that could be expanded upon. On the one hand they claim poverty and dust off idents that are over 25 years old and on the other, they splash out on great looking sequences and restrict them to a niche slot on Saturdays. The logic?!

I don't think it's so much the resources haven't been there, only that they've been consistently misallocated, with a clear brand strategy/respect for such a concept achingly lacking.

Hence illogical outcomes like the one you refer to.
DB
dbl
I think the '2' needs to go down the personality route, this was genius:

They already brought that fluffy 2 back for BBC2's anniversary.
VM
VMPhil

I don't like those arts idents myself personally. I'd be more interested if they stuck with one idea rather than being a montage of ideas.
RE
Rex

I don't like those arts idents myself personally. I'd be more interested if they stuck with one idea rather than being a montage of ideas.

For a special arts ident, that would make more sense than the plethora of sequences in the current Artsnight ident. Save the latter for a full set to rightfully succeed Window on the World.

However, I like the Artsnight idents personally, despite the fact that they only succeed further in unravelling BBC TWO’s much-maligned presentation.
FA
fanoftv
I think a mix of shots and music to suit moods could work, in a similar way to the Jan 2006 ITV1 idents (not everyones favourite, but I liked the multi clip approach) with different moods attached to each ident.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Kudos to all concerned at BBC Two Network Pres, they get a certain amount of stick but can't fault them for taking the initiative for that reworked ident.
ToasterMan, Rory and Jonny gave kudos
:-(
A former member
A 40' playout of Optic to closedown with last night — http://tig.gy/?6AXB5
BE
benriggers
A 40' playout of Optic to closedown with last night — http://tig.gy/?6AXB5

Nice to see announcers still namechecking themselves Smile (not watched a BBC2 closedown in years)
DP
D.Page
dbl posted:
I think the '2' needs to go down the personality route...
...They already brought that fluffy 2 back for BBC2's anniversary.

With any luck, they'll wait until the next significant anniversary before they think to bring it back again (or better still, never).

Newer posts