Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
DE88 posted:
The trouble started with the ad itself, of course

Watching it back, I suppose it does seem a little like they were trying to emulate a Tomorrow's World feature. I can see why the BBC were upset.
VM
VMPhil

Incidently what region was that 'North News' bulletin? What a vague title, though it looked great

Paddy MacDee presented Look North North East at that time so I assume North East, but from the time when the BBC had super regions for North/East/South/West (hence the BBC North logo in the bottom corner).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/e28a93de010bf450b0fcbf3dc3e11838b6296039.jpg
AN
Andrew Founding member
During that era they decided that "Look North" was the flagship name only to be used for the flagship bulletins, small ones were called "North News", no different to say Lookaround and Border News at other times.
:-(
A former member
North Tonight did that aswell, only getting called that 6pm, while others were called North today and Late news headlines for 10.30pm. Did any other area do this?
IS
Inspector Sands
North Tonight did that aswell, only getting called that 6pm, while others were called North today and Late news headlines for 10.30pm. Did any other area do this?

Westcountry had a ridiculous number of names for their bulletins at the start I seem to remember. The main programme was Westcountry Live, the bulletins Westcountry News, the late bulletin was Westcountry Update and there was Westcountry Extra too, here might have been Westcountry Lunch too
IS
Inspector Sands

remember she was also on Countdown and other ITV shows at the time, so if there cleared with that happening, its the BBC own uppity problem.

Yes exactly. The only problem was the conflict between being on TW and an advert that could be confused with it. I wouldn't say it was the BBC being 'uppity', it is a very fair point to say that's a conflict. And of course thee have been others since, particularly chefs who've ad to leave the BBC because they want to be the face of some supermarket.

There was no issue with her doing adverts and appearing on commercial TV as long as the ads weren't in or around the programmes she appeared in. That is allowed in the rules today, though I imagine if she appeared in an advert that was a Countdown spoof during Countdown that would be an issue
VM
VMPhil
The things you come across on YouTube…

MD
MrDexB

remember she was also on Countdown and other ITV shows at the time, so if there cleared with that happening, its the BBC own uppity problem.

Yes exactly. The only problem was the conflict between being on TW and an advert that could be confused with it. I wouldn't say it was the BBC being 'uppity', it is a very fair point to say that's a conflict. And of course thee have been others since, particularly chefs who've ad to leave the BBC because they want to be the face of some supermarket.

There was no issue with her doing adverts and appearing on commercial TV as long as the ads weren't in or around the programmes she appeared in. That is allowed in the rules today, though I imagine if she appeared in an advert that was a Countdown spoof during Countdown that would be an issue

It didn't seem that much of a issue when she appeared on a SM:TV spoof of Countdown with the cast dancing to the music.
LL
Larry the Loafer

THIS... IS THE BBC...
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE OTHERS... THEY ARE FALSE PROPHETS...
THIS IS THE TRUE WAY... FOLLOW US... NOT THE OTHERS...
THEY ARE THE EVIL ONES...

AND NOW, THE WEATHER...
dbl, Rex and elmarko gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey

It didn't seem that much of a issue when she appeared on a SM:TV spoof of Countdown with the cast dancing to the music.

A spoof as part of a programme is a very different kettle of fish to an advert.
IS
Inspector Sands

Why would it be, that's got nothing to do with advertising or broadcasting regulations
EL
elmarko

THIS... IS THE BBC...
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE OTHERS... THEY ARE FALSE PROPHETS...
THIS IS THE TRUE WAY... FOLLOW US... NOT THE OTHERS...
THEY ARE THE EVIL ONES...

AND NOW, THE WEATHER...

lol, very nice.

Loving the video though, big hockey fan here and I've never come across that before. Also reminded me of that Vancouver Island tv station that used the ITV news theme

Newer posts