TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SM
smeg_head
When I interviewed Richard Bacon not long after the show finished he said most of the Planet 24 stories couldn't be published! He said it was a different culture to any other company he worked for.

There is a story that has been published though, about an office junior being called in on his day off to pick up some files an executive had dropped on the floor.

An ex-LBC presenter (Possibly Christo, I can't remember now) mentioned on air a few times that conditions for junior production team members at The Big Breakfast weren't the best. Which is a shame to hear as someone that utterly loved the show. The crew always seemed like a gang of mates having fun on telly.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Although I think that was mainly during the early years when Planet made The Word as well as The Big Breakfast.

A lot of the people involved with the early days of The BB were also involved with RI:SE and it doesn't sound like things were much better there either....

JB
JasonB
As mentioned in the comments on this clip, could have there been some sort of security breach? There's a security guard standing in front of the french windows during the paper review and cockney Vic is told to go round the back of the house to bring in the pun of the week:

8 days later

:-(
A former member
Just incase any has not seen this most recent added clip, which has Bob Geldof , Midge Ure, Paul Young, Tony Hadley and Howard Jones talking about 10 years since Live aid.

GO
gottago
When I interviewed Richard Bacon not long after the show finished he said most of the Planet 24 stories couldn't be published! He said it was a different culture to any other company he worked for.

There is a story that has been published though, about an office junior being called in on his day off to pick up some files an executive had dropped on the floor.

An ex-LBC presenter (Possibly Christo, I can't remember now) mentioned on air a few times that conditions for junior production team members at The Big Breakfast weren't the best. Which is a shame to hear as someone that utterly loved the show. The crew always seemed like a gang of mates having fun on telly.

My old boss was a researcher on it and it was her first job after moving down from the Midlands. She’d have to get up at 2am to traipse to the house on other side of London with no transport provided by the company and ended up in tears most days. Living near the Big Breakfast House now I’m totally baffled how she managed to get there at that time. Even with the improved infrastructure and transport the Olympics left behind it’s still a pretty long walk from any of the major transport links and can imagine it would be a pretty scary walk along the canal in the middle of the night.

66 days later

JB
JasonB
Some clips of Chris and Gaby presenting outside in front of the house during the summer of 1994:

36 days later

MA
mannewskev
Johnny and Liza's first show together with Liza as permanent co-host:

Denise's return:

Plus other BB stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTC5BquHfOORnjaHxwdWz4A/videos
JasonB, DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos
JB
JasonB
17 years today since this:

IS
Inspector Sands
That's not as awful as I remember it being at the time. Oddly the design looks quite modern and fresh seeing it in 2018, maybe that was part of its problem - ahead of it's time
MA
mannewskev
It's every bit as bad as I remember it. Muted and lethargic.
JB
JasonB
We’ve discussed this in this thread before but a fresh discussion might be needed. With all these old 80’s and 90’s TV revivals coming back in recent years, is it time The Big Breakfast was tried once more? Even if it was in a studio set in a fake house set?
RD
RDJ
We’ve discussed this in this thread before but a fresh discussion might be needed. With all these old 80’s and 90’s TV revivals coming back in recent years, is it time The Big Breakfast was tried once more? Even if it was in a studio set in a fake house set?

As nice as it would be, I don't think Channel 4 have the thirst for breakfast ratings like they once did nor the budget. I feel The BB in 2018 could bring a refreshing change to the breakfast offerings, but breakfast is now a three horse race as the sitcoms rate fairly for C4 as far as I understand.

That 2001 rebrand had the issue of being The Big Breakfast in all but name. Similarly to the 1996 rebrand, it was the humour and the presenters that made The BB. Tinker with one of those too much and it proved fatal for the ratings so they'd always revert back. There was only so many times they could do this and then still see the ratings dwindle regardless, which ultimately led to its axing.

Newer posts