The Newsroom

Russia Today

(March 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EL
elmarko
Fact checkers - we need more fact checkers.

Mind you, fact checkers often get attacked when they have the gall to prove somebody is lying, because people are partisan idiots who fall prey to psychological biases. You never want to believe your own side is bad.
SI
silvercowards

RT is state controlled, World Service was state funded. They are not the same...

Funny how Max Keiser on RT though said here on his show, The Keiser Report that he retired his BBC show, The Oracle because he was told by an executive that the BBC has an unoffical pro-Israel stance and mentioning the nation wasn't allowed.

Max Keiser Talks About The BBC's Stance on Israel

Now I haven't looked into this much and although I have watched his show for quite a few years, this could just be another conspiracy...or not.

I don't think RT is as tainted with state propaganda as some people like to believe but at the same time I don't think BBC is as 'unbiased' as people even not from the West claim it is.
LL
London Lite Founding member

I don't think RT is as tainted with state propaganda as some people like to believe but at the same time I don't think BBC is as 'unbiased' as people even not from the West claim it is.

It doesn't have to be 'state' propaganda, but anything that makes Russia's enemies look bad in the eyes of the population they're targeting. (RT doesn't target Russian nationals), such as British reports on the welfare state.
CI
cityprod

RT, formerly known as Russia Today, is currently owned by Rossiya Segodnya, which translates into English as Russia Today, which is itself wholly owned by The Russian Government. It's a state-owned propaganda machine.
Hatton Cross, UKnews and London Lite gave kudos
RA
radiolistener

RT, formerly known as Russia Today, is currently owned by Rossiya Segodnya, which translates into English as Russia Today, which is itself wholly owned by The Russian Government. It's a state-owned propaganda machine.

As is the BBC.
LL

As is the BBC.

Big difference between a state broadcaster and a PSB, which the BBC is.
CI
cityprod

As is the BBC.

But the UK Government doesn't tell the BBC what to broadcast. The Russian Government exercises much greater control over RT. After all, the editor in chief of RT is also the editor in chief of Rossiya Segodnya, and she gets her marching orders from, the Russian Government, probably Vladimir Putin himself.
UK
UKnews

As is the BBC.

Once again a poster showing wilful ignorance aboit the ownership and nature of the BBC.

RT and the BBC are not equivalents and you’d need to have a pretty twisted - or, ironically, biased - world view to think that they are.
UK
UKnews
Big difference between a state broadcaster and a PSB, which the BBC is.

RT isn’t even a state broadcaster, it’s a propaganda machine. There are state broadcasters which are far less biased than RT.

65 days later

LL
RT has it's press credentials removed from Capitol Hill.

NG
noggin Founding member

RT is state controlled, World Service was state funded. They are not the same...

Funny how Max Keiser on RT though said here on his show, The Keiser Report that he retired his BBC show, The Oracle because he was told by an executive that the BBC has an unoffical pro-Israel stance and mentioning the nation wasn't allowed.

Max Keiser Talks About The BBC's Stance on Israel

The Max Keiser stuff - if true - strikes me as the BBC wanting to ensure that Israel/Palestine, which is a hugely complex and tricky area to report was reported properly and not editorialised in a personal manner. Far more likely that the BBC didn't trust him to handle it properly - but didn't want to tell him that to his face...

You can have 'authored' coverage of some stuff - but there are some areas that really need to be left to the experts in the region and handled incredibly carefully.
Quote:

Now I haven't looked into this much and although I have watched his show for quite a few years, this could just be another conspiracy...or not.

RT is basically a pro-Kremlin propaganda machine. Their reporters in the field have zero freedom to report objectively - they are told the Kremlin line and stick to it.

I remember a BBC reporter covering the MH17 story - where Russia was widely believed to have shot down a Malaysian Airlines flight over Ukraine. The BBC and RT both had reporters on site. The RT reporter couldn't believe the BBC reporter just went on-air live without being told what to say by the team back in London. The RT reporter had to be told exactly what the Moscow line was before he could go live, so he didn't report facts that would contradict it... They should be bracketed with 'Press TV' in their commitment to fair and unbiased reporting.

The BBC is fiercely independent of government control, and is not in anyway controlled directly by Westminster or Number 10. The only major areas of influence from the government are discussions about which language services the BBC World Service should operate.
Last edited by noggin on 1 December 2017 10:35am - 2 times in total
MA
Markymark

The BBC is fiercely independent of government control, and is not in anyway controlled directly by Westminster or Number 10.

Indeed It isn't, though I've met plenty of people abroad (some of whom work for foreign broadcasters) that assume it is, and therefore what it reports is UK government policy

Newer posts